User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans - should they rebuild?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is possible for a city to survive and thrive under sea-level, look at the country of Amsterdam...
    I know, but they dont have to worry about hurricanes either.

It was only as the city grew that it expanded into areas it should have avoided. That's why little of the French Quarter was flooded.
    But they are rebuilding, or going to, every part of the city, even the lowest points. I heard talk of turning those parts into a giant park but people didnt want to loose the areas they came from. I can understand about the french quarter and the higher areas, but the lowest part that floods, i think thats just silly.

This is a map of elevation of the city. The mississippi river is above sea level,

that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See here is where the government needs to act because when something like Katrina happens again, and it will, then they are going to be crying why isnt the government helping us. IN reponse the gov't will spend rediculous amounts of money to try to help these people who put themselves in the situtation. Personally I say we bring in some big bulldozers take out the low areas and make it illegal to live in those areas and if people dont like too bad.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Ehh, I support a person's right to live wherever they want. Even if it's not smart. Otherwise no one would live in Alabama.

Hehehe. I wonder if they could just fill in the low areas. Wow, I wonder how much that would cost?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I support a person's right to live wherever they want. Even if it's not smart.
    In a way i agree, but think of it this way. You move into one of the dumbest places you could, whatever it is. And you bring your family. Do you raise your, say 1 and 3 year old near a toxic waste dump? On the eroding banks of the river? In a canyon scourd by flash floods? Even if the adults have the choice, if you drag your children along for the ride, thats not just your own life that will be on the line of things hit the fan. People who dont have a choice. Thats just extreme examples, i dont think New Orleans is that bad.

And as for living wherever, i dont think so, if its your own property yes, but i dont want people building houses in my backyard, or in national parks, see.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought Silent Hill was a video game..

Anyways, they could always just build their houses up on stilts. Thats how its done in the keys.

Maybe it'll eventually be one of those cities where the only way to get around is by boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If it keeps on rainin', the levee's gonna break...."

- Led Zeppelin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problems with them living there if they want to but they get nothing for help when it floods again from the government. They are on their own. The reason I say the gov't has a say is because fedral $$ is being used to clean up and rebuild the area and the feds are going to be expected to rescue the idiots that move back in so I would say its the gov't responsibility to the broadest base of tax payers to not waste our money on letting people make stupid descions. But if our government stopped wasting our money I am almost certain the universe would blink out of existance. LOL
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And as for living wherever, i dont think so, if its your own property yes, but I don't want people building houses in my backyard, or in national parks, see.
    Hmmm.... No I believe you took that out of context I did not mean literally anywhere, but rather if someone wants to live by a cesspool or a toxic waste dump, let them I say. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Silent hill was a video game, and then a movie, Jeremy. Pretty good, and deranged (like I like it) I though

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast