User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans - should they rebuild?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people in Louisiana DO build their house on stilts, but when you've got a house that's under 20 feet of water, stilts don't help much. It wasn't JUST New Orleans that flooded though, y'all. Much of the surrounding areas were flooded as well. As far as building up low lying areas, what do you think that's going to do to the ecology of the area? Probably not a good idea from a conservation standpoint. especially taking into consideration the damage the local ecosystem suffered from the effects of Katrina, both from natural and made-made sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.... No I believe you took that out of context I did not mean literally anywhere, but rather if someone wants to live by a cesspool or a toxic waste dump, let them I say. Doesn't bother me one bit.
    I think its ok if adults do that, but i think it is not acceptable if dong so puts children in serious danger. NO ONE has the right to do that.
    that makes no logic

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, then the real question is whatcha gonna do about it?

Lmao. "NO! You can't live here because you have kids! MOVE!"

Good luck with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eliminate government assistance/interference in the coastal zone property insurance market and there'll be a lot more sanity in coastal development. People pick on New Orleans and its poor black people for irrationally occupying a flood zone, but the real problem is all the well-off people and corporations who've sprawled along coastal areas nationwide with beach homes and stores and resorts and what not. They can do that because they don't have to pay for the real risk of occupying those places.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, then the real question is whatcha gonna do about it?

Lmao. "NO! You can't live here because you have kids! MOVE!"
    Child endangerment is a criminal offense that involves the subjection of minor children to inappropriate or dangerous situations. It is not the same as child abuse, which involves direct harm to children, but carries a similar penalty in the American judicial system. If someone insists on living in a toxic waste dump they could loose their children. Even despite the health risks, that is a risk most of us would not take. Is it right, i think. slowly poisoning them, whether it be by ingestion or enviorment. One deliberate, one unintentional. But when the results are the same, what does it matter?

I fear i have strayed off topic too mcuh. If you would like to discuss it further, i would be happy to in chat or PM.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the government's mis-handling of the rebuilding (including the decision process on whether to rebuild) is reprehensible. Our fearless leader's priorities are more focused on dry-sandy regions beyond our boundaries....

While they struggle to rebuild the city of N.O., the government continues to support massive amounts of building in other coastal areas including barrier islands which are doomed to be annihilated. While I think it's fine for a well-off individual to build a multi-million dollar vacation retreat on the beach (environmental issues aside), I have a major issue when the inevitable storm destroys the place and my tax money is used to rebuild it (since no insurance company is stupid enough to take the idiotic risk).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tad bit late to debate this one folks...
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's too late in that a lot of subsidized coastal development has already occurred. But not too late in that there's plenty more that can be prevented.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast