What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't Worry Be, Happy on theremin!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
No, it's not a new anti-anxiety medication. I just learned about this AMAZING instrument called a theremin. It's got two antennas and you move your hands in between the antennas, but never touch them.

Taken from wikipedia:
The theremin uses the heterodyne principle to generate an audio signal. The instrument's circuitry includes two radio frequency oscillators. One oscillator operates at a fixed frequency. The other is a variable frequency oscillator, the frequency of which is controlled by performer's distance from the frequency control antenna. The performer's hand acts as the grounded plate (the performer's body being the connection to ground) of a variable capacitor in an L-C (inductance-capacitance) circuit. The difference between the frequencies of the two oscillators at each moment generates a beat frequency in the audio frequency range, resulting in audio signals that are amplified and sent to a loudspeaker.

Now watch this dude play one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6bSRcRAhnc&mode=related&search=

I want one but a top of the line one is like 400 bucks. Still cheaper than a nice traditional instrument. They are supposed to be easy to play but hard to master.

Legend of Zelda theme on a theremin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYho56INKU&mode=related&search=

Build one! Much cheaper that way, and the plans are freely available online or at the library.
~Joe

OH MY GOD!

I want like 4 of them and i want to start a quartet!

All though I do enjoy a good cover of the Ledged of Zelda theme,(who doesn't?), the sound of the theremin becomes like nails on a chalkboard after awhile. But cool none the less. Kind of on par with having an orchestra of kazoos.

I want one but a top of the line one is like 400 bucks. Still cheaper than a nice traditional instrument.

You can buy a guitar or bass starter set for that. Decent acoustic guitars start around a hundred bucks. And they look and sound a hundred times cooler than something off the band in the cantina scene in Star Wars.

I don't think it sounds bad. Just a little annoying after awhile.

I think I'll stick to my guitars for now. :-D

I think ill probably be sticking to my guitars as well, until I get a job and will be able to buy one, but i like collecting weird instruments.

Back