Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best of both worlds?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of both worlds?

I've tried leaf sprouting and seed germination by using moist media / baggies, as well as au nateurelle in pots, exposed to the air. I think the baggie approach works a little better, but transferring to a pot has sometimes resulted in shock or death. So I thought it might be a decent approach to try sprouting in the permanent pot, but with the baggie enclosing it, by and east window or indirect light. Anyone else do it this way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The transfer from the superhumid atmosphere of the bags to the direr buoyant air of the pots i think is the main culprit of losses with the sealed bagging technique. The seedlings/cuttings are accustomed to a superhumid still environment and that is what I think kills most of them if they suddenly loose it. If that is your case, whether the bag is around the pot/germination bag is moot, the same shock will happen when you remove the bag.
    What I do is I open the bag for 5-10 days prior to removing them, so they can get adjusted to a drier, more buoyant atmosphere. After that I remove it completely and let them get adjusted to being in open air in their geminating pots. After they are accustomed to that is when I move them to their permanent pots. A gradual transition is important I feel for very moisture-loving plants, like young ferns and other such plants. My first time gowing fern spores i opened the bag after the fronds had grown and potted them up in the window. I had 100% mortality of that batch. Granted, Ferns are different from cp's but now I treat all of the young mosture-loving plant seedlings this way and I have good sucess.

I never have much problems moving cuttings of drought-tolerant plants cold-turkey.

Er, thats my method.
    Last edited by Finch; 09-03-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added stuff
    that makes no logic

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with opening it, transitioning them, to their permamnent environment. My frustration with transferring seedlings and leaf cuttings from a baggie is that sometimes the media falls apart and the roots get exposed, putting the plants in shock.