Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Magic lizards new digs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya , you know, baby ain't go no back!

Actually it's a fake "ground level" made with a sheet of egg crate grid. Sold as a 2 ft x 4 ft sheet of 1/4" plastic squares that looks like it was made from a flattened out old fashioned egg crate/milk crate. They use it in office building ceilings below flourescents to diffuse the light. I cut about 10x 2" long sections of PVC pipe and siliconed them in a few evenly spaced spots over the egg crate. Set the grid/pipe construction into the tank with the PVC tubes pointing at the bottom of the aquarium so the egg crate creates an elevated surface. Excess water can drain from the soil when you water the plants. When the resivor gets nearly full I'll just remove the cap on the pipe and siphon the water out with my hand pump siphon that I ordered for like $5 from www.harborfreight.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there termites here in Minnesota? I always heard they only were in the southern US.
    there are trees in MN arent there? "pest" termites("drywood") are basically in the southern US but as far as i know "dampwood" termites are found throughout the US......ive got them here....infact i collected close to 1000 of them yesterday....tore apart 3 stumps looking for them and found a half dozen.....noticed an old pine 1x6 piece of lumber laying in the pine needles half buried in the soil, flipped it over and found a few thousand the ones here are about twice the size of a fruit fly and my smaller critters love them............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    .tore apart 3 stumps looking for them and found a half dozen.....noticed an old pine 1x6 piece of lumber laying in the pine needles half buried in the soil, flipped it over and found a few thousand the ones here are about twice the size of a fruit fly and my smaller critters love them............
    Sounds as if you hunt like a bear..they like um too...

Nice work SWORDS!!! It looks good...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky lizardo. Let's hope it doesn't decide to have Scotty beam it out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. What is the lighting like? Is it a one proper for herp's?

I tried a terrarium kind of like that with the plants and such, but my lighting system, to get enough heat for the floor of the cage, dried out everything except a few drought tolerant plants. With proper heat and lighting i think you can kiss the cretan brake fern (Pteris cretica - the ? fern) goodby, at the very least. But i can kill that fern well no matter what i do so perhaps its just me!
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got 2x 65 W daylight power compacts for lighting. Not sure what temps the lizard needs but day temps at soil level in the tank get about 80-82*F when the lights are on, nights are 70-75*F or whatever the house is. I'm not sure what the temps are on the branch 6" below the lights where he likes to sit now. Seems like he doesn't pay much mind to the ground level but preffers to stay on the driftwood branches and sleeps on the stalks right under the leafs of the tall heart fern or the caladium after lights out.

Will these lizards forage for food when hungry or do the fruitflies have to come to them (i.e. gotta dump them out on his log all the time).

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs temps around 85. He also needs a basking spot that is 100 - 110. Sounds like you have that with the branch 6 inches below the light. That's why he sits on that branch. Most of the time he'll sit on the branch and if he's hungry and he sees a ff walk by he will leap and grab it. You shouldn't have to put them on the branch for him. You'll just make him lazy.

Sounds like you have plenty of hiding places, so the only thing I can think you'll need is a uv light, calcium and vitamins. Looks like you're doing a good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a gorgeous set-up. Will you ever be able to spot the lizard, lol?
    Say, Rattler.... What happens when you come into the house carrying a bucket of 1000 termites, slip and fall, knocking yourself out, and waking up hours later with an empty bucket?
    Purely hypothetical, of course.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast