Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Magic lizards new digs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Magic lizards new digs

Well, I was able to lure the uninvited guest reptilian terarrium inhabitant I found last night into my mantis hatching jar (no mantids this year) and I setup the terrarium properly to house a lizard. Or at least what I could accomplish in one day. I had put some baby crickets in the jar and showed it to him he seemed to know that was food but once he was in there the damn crickets started biting him! So I put my hand in and he jumped on my thumb, I pulled all the crickets out my luring them onto a stick and then he was fine in the mantis jar on a fern leaf while I setup the tank. Here's what I've got setup this afternoon:

Overview

details
    Left

Center

Right

The white thing is the cap for the siphon tube going to the false bottom. I've got some black silicone coming that I will use with cocofiber to disguise the cap (I have two caps).

And here's the king in his new castle, he ate 5 or 6 fruit flies just as soon as I set him loose back in his terrarium. I sure am glad I found fruit flies cos the nasty crickets were too big for him, just as I thought last night.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool setup, swords. Your pictures with the labels look like they came out of a textbook! Hope he's happy and lives a long and prosperous life. I'm sure he'll be happy in such a colorful landscape.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if crickets are to big..........if yah know where theres an old rotten log is.......i often use termites as a feeder.....my dart frogs go nuts for them
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's a nice setup. I'm sure he'll be happy in it. That's one of the best setups I've ever seen. I just hope the lizard don't scare Eddie away.

How much you charge to set me up one like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,
    Ideally a lot of these little plants would be mounted on branches/cork since many of them are epiphyte orchids and ferns. I didn't have the time/driftwood to do it today but I had to put all the plants back in this tank as I have nowhere else to put them. I used orchid bark for the soil with a top layer of 50/50 orchid bark and coconut fiber so the orchids should be fine until more driftwood and cork panels arrive. I labeled the pics as much for you guys as for me so I also have some idea what's growing in here without plant tags!

It'll be fun catching a net full of insects in the summer for this guy but he's too little now. Are there termites here in Minnesota? I always heard they only were in the southern US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oz,
    Thanks but this setup is totally simple and I really did a half assed rushed job all in about an hour or so. It's not the way I envisioned setting it up a few days ago but that was before the lizard that appeared from nowhere needing care and feeding.

To do this sorta setup just get some lighting grid and 3/4" PVC pipe from HD (get a matching 3/4" cap of you want a siphon spout), build the false bottom (my PVC is cut to 2" high), get some nylon window screen to cover the lighting grid and cover with 4+ inches of whatever you wanna use for soil.

All plants and driftwood (and lizard too aparently) were accuired off Ebay over the last month or so. All local plant shops have gone belly up around here except Bachman's but they only have common tropical stuff. I've got a neat tiny vine/shrub called Christia orbcordata coming this week, each leaf resembles a butterfly with spread wings!

If you like this setup just wait til you see what I have in store for my empty closet...

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He sure will like that setup.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    False Bottom?