Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone take the ACT?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent scores, man. If you can bring your math up a few points you'll have a killer score for the college applications. You should go to the bookstore and pick up one of those practice books and go through the math questions in those books. Standardized tests are just that: standardized; so, if you do a lot of practice problems you will start to recognize questions on the test and more importantly, what those questions are asking.

When you become more familiar with the variety of questions you will be more comfortable with the math section and you will do better throughout.

I think I got a 27 of the ACT. I had a 32 on the math section and I did terrible on the reading section because I got distracted by this attractive girl sitting one desk up and one desk to the left... lol.

xvart.

edit: and yes, 90th percentile means you did better than 90% of your peers.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nope, sure haven't. In fact I was told to do calculus before I did trig.
    Rrrr... Just my opinion, but I'd say that trig should be done BEFORE calculus, and optimally before physics as well. The rules from Trig end up being very important for aspects of calculus. But I suppose the course they give may not emphasize any of the trig-related stuff. :shrug: Still, if you can, I'd take trig first.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I'm mainly worried about my math because I want to be a Dr.
    Don't worry about that. They'll look at your ACT/SAT score as one small piece of the puzzle for applying to college...but then that's it. Once you're admitted to college, your scores on these tests don't matter. at all.

what's much more important is getting good grades in college (which may mean getting a degree in something besides biology if that's easier...but you will have to take some core science and math courses), having a few good internships, and getting some experience in the health field. you'll have to take the MCAT (med school standardized test) and probably the GRE (generic grad school standardized test)...but that's a few years down the road.

bottom line: med schools don't care about your ACT score. a good ACT score MIGHT help you get into a good college, which MIGHT impress med schools when you go to apply. and it looks like you're going to get a good score, so no worries!
    -Emily

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yesterday I missed 20 out of 60 but I completed the entire test and didn't do it within an hour (you only have an hour to answer 60 questions on the real test). Today I did a different practice test and only gave myself an hour to do it. I still missed 20 out of 60, but only 11 of those 20 were questions I got wrong on my own (and a couple were guesses since they were trig questions). 9 of the 20 i missed I didn't have time to answer.

So I guess if I can speed it up and go faster I don't have too much to worry about. I'm not going to do any schoolwork this week and only focus on studying and getting faster for the ACT. I also didn't sleep much (maybe.. 2 hours tops) last night so maybe that's why I was slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn to pace yourself and to not spend too much time on a single question. When you don't know an answer on a standardized test, eliminate any that are obviously wrong and guess from whatever's left. Tests like the SAT and GRE subtract off for wrong answers - 1/4 point if there are 4 answers - to eliminate any advantage from wild guessing. But if you can eliminate an obviously wrong answer or two and guess from the rest, odds go in your favor. I don't know if it still does, but I think the ACT used to only add up correct answers and not count off for wrong answers. If it still does, make sure you spend the last minute marking an answer for everything, even if you don't read all the questions.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it the ACT that subtracts points if you answer wrong? Or is that some other standardized test?

xvart.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I was grading my practice tests, It said to only add the correct answers, not to deduct points for wrong ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be something else then. I could've sworn it was the ACT because I remember talking to people who were saying "don't answer them if you're not sure!" and I told them that was silly since if you guess completely on four questions your odds of breaking even by guessing correctly is even. Actually, you'll be slightly ahead and if you guess two correctly you're even further ahead.

Oh well, probably some other test...

xvart.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast