Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone take the ACT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most standardized tests, at least those from the SAT family (cartel?), do subtract for wrong answers. But you get a point for a correct answer and lose a 1/4 point for an incorrect answer, assuming there are four choices. It's actually more complicated than that because of all the statistical manipulations that go into testing, especially if you take the test on computer. In that case, correct answers lead you to more difficult questions, while wrong answers lead to simpler questions. With the former leading to a high score and the latter leading to a low score. Someone with a high score sees different questions than someone with a low score and I suppose they could get the same number right. I much prefer the good old days of #2 pencils.

edit - it would be a point for a right answer and a loss of 1/3 point for a wrong answer, so random answers have a value of 0. But, as I mentioned, the computerized exams change everything.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    But, as I mentioned, the computerized exams change everything.
    You're right. I totally forgot about computerized testing. Things sure have changed, and I took my last standardized test maybe eight years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    I much prefer the good old days of #2 pencils.
    Me too! Go scantron!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a 31 :0

The ACT is way easier than the SAT..
    And...for sure trig should be done before calc...at most schools trig is called "pre-calculus" LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ACT is universally accepted as THE test in this region. Everyone has to take it where I am. SAT is optional.

Don’t worry about math. I suck at math so bad… I mean I had to take algebra 2 twice, and had heavy help. KNEW I was going to suck on the math, because I do suck at math!
    I got… oh somewhere between 70-85. I don’t remember, think it’s the lower range. Higher than I thought could possibly get... or perhaps should XD. The test is pretty damn forgiving. Even with that score, math my lowest, I still pulled off a 32 overall. Math dragged me down a lot but if you do good on the other things you will do relatively good. 29.25 IS still pretty good, all things considered.

If you are really slow at math, prehaps you can ask them about the extended time options. If you can get into that, you wont have a problem rushing.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ACT is the standard test of the South & Midwest. The only reason I also took the SAT was that Georgia Tech didn't accept the SAT. That should have been the first clue that Atlanta only pretends to be southern. I don't think the ACT is easier and my percentile scores were about the same. The ACT did seem to have more variety and, if the SAT seemed more intimidating, maybe it was because I drove ~100 miles to take it and there were only a handful of us in the room, so each of us felt like the proctor was staring at us the whole time.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I took it today. I didn't have enough time on the reading and science sections so I just filled in random answers. I panicked a little and probably wasted a little time and didn't pace myself. I did better than I expected in math, I think. English was good, too. We'll see what I get later I guess. I'm going to go ahead and sign up to take it again. I don't need to study anything, I just need to work on making myself faster.

So..... yeah. I don't think I did well because I didn't have enough time and guessed at like..20 total questions on Reading and Science. I can mix and match my scored from two tests on the ACT like I can with the SAT, right?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done. Glad you feel good about it. Next time will be better. How long do you have to wait? Four to six weeks? Or was it computer based and you get them sooner?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four to six sounds about right. Seven tops.

I don't really feel good about it as a whole because I didn't have enough time, but I feel good about math and English. The essay seemed pointless since it doesn't affect my score. I'm sure I got at least the "average" score but I was hoping for a high 20 composite.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast