Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone take the ACT?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone take the ACT?

My mom wants me to take the ACT as well as the SAT. I took an ACT practice test, and since I don't really know anything about it, I was wondering if someone who did could comment on my scores?

Scale scores:
    English: 31 - 97th percentile
    Math: 23 -70th percentile
    Reading: 36 -99th percentile
    Science: 27 -93rd percentile

My composite score is 29.25. -95th percentile

I'm worried about the math I missed 20 out of 60 questions. I take the ACT on the 15th. It said the average math score is like... 20.something so technically I'm above average, but I still missed 20 questions so wouldn't that mean I made like a 66% and failed? I'm pretty worried about that. Does the 70th percentile mean I scored better than 7 out of 10 other people? See. Told you I sucked at math.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did well, as shown by the percentiles, which mean exactly what you think. I took it 30 years ago and liked it much better than the SAT. The science and social studies give it variety and it didn't seem to have as many trick questions as the SAT.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took that about 6 years ago and its not too bad. Did your test give you types of math you didnt do well on (i.e. Alegbra or Geometry) If so I would try to work on those areas if not well then the entire area of math is hard to study for. Over all though I would be happy since your scoring in the 95th percentile which means only 5% of those who take the test do better than you which is quite good.

Otherwise good luck I hope it goes well for you.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did a 30 overall, and bombed on math, i think i brought in a 21 or 22, not sure its been a few years.

the poor math is just a reflection of your thinking style. you're probably more creative and emotional than most people. if you do poorly on your math on the real ACT, colleges will look at your other scores and be like "ok, hes not dumb, thats just his style"

in any case math is most definitely use it or lose it. once your in college string all your math classes together one semester after another and you'll do fine.
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The test gave me geometry and elementary trigonometry (no experience with that at all.) I'm mainly worried about my math because I want to be a Dr. I'm hoping my good science skills will make up for it. Why am I good at things like history and English that don't matter? It sucks.

There wasn't any test for social studies, Bruce. I didn't do the writing test since I'm a good writer and not worried about it, lazy, and it's optional anyway. I will, however, take it on the real ACT on like.. the 15th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't do too hot on the ACT, but the SAT i got a 1270 which was good enough for what i needed to do. I wouldn't worry about it. Just study best you can and then that's that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it had something about history, geography and so on, but it's been a long time. You haven't done trig?!? Isn't that one of the standard math classes for people heading to college for the sciences?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, sure haven't. In fact I was told to do calculus before I did trig. I'm not looking forward to either of them. I've got to finish chem. II, a spanish course and then I do physics and start trig I guess. I can always be a vet or a therapist or something I guess. I think everyone my age goes through this and all of this worrying is mainly in my head.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast