User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has this every happened to anybody else?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier this summer I heard knocking on my front door. I was busy and couldn't get to the door. A few minutes later I was walking from my kitchen through my dining room when something caught my eye and when I focused, I was looking at a man peering through the French doors on my porch! Scared the crap outta me!! I ducked back and hid...and then ran upstairs to see if I could see who it was. Then I saw a couple, "church dressed", slowly walking up the street, turning onto a neighbor's sidewalk. Appeared to be some man and woman who were out proselytizing. I was livid! Its one thing to knock on my door which I can't stop unless I post my property, but that man had no business what-so-ever leaving my door and peering into my house like that. That's called a Peeping Tom in MY book. My first thought was that he was someone casing my house to break in! (I heard him say something like "Doesn't look like anyone lives here."). I almost called the cops. Then when I saw them up the street I realized what they were probably doing. I still wish I'd called the cops just so they could be told its not proper (or legal!) to peer into someone window like that. Supposed I had been nekkid?? (Now THAT woulda taught them a lesson...lol).

I don't like solicitors of any type coming to my door. I rarely answer the door as all my friends know to come to my back door. But I reeeeaaaally don't like someone peering into my house through my French doors. It really scared me.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had experiences where they come up while I'm working in the yard and not stop their speech when I say I'm not interested. And I have had them look in the windows when I don't answer... (Same folks that had approached me before) So one day, the main door was open but the security door was shut, they rang the door bell and the dogs went nuts... So I joined them, as in on the ground barking with the dogs. This went on prolly for a min and a half with them looking at me, then each other, then saying something, then back to me... Finally I stood up and said "huh? What'd you say?? When they starting talking church I barked again, gave them a stare and said not interested PLEASE don't come back. And they have not. I don't like being rude, but sometimes that is what it takes. It did take that in this instance, and has worked. Now I just get an occasional book by the door when I come home from work
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that they were likely just trying to leave one of their flyers in the door. When I opened the door the guy had the flyer in his hand folded in half held about 6" from where the door would open. This does not excuse his behavior but Ben I believe his name was probably meant no harm. If I talk to them I always just tell them I have a church that I am very happy with and they seem to accept this and move on. I dont tell them I follow the teachings of Agnost, the god of wonder if there is a god. But they dont need to know that.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, I love stories of people harassing JW. Wouldn't it be wild if "Ben" the JW was actually a CP fan and a member here? Maybe then he could offer an explanation!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this may sound like a joke but im quite serious in all of this.

Jehovah's witnesses come around my house about once a month, because there are 3 churches or whatever they call them nearby. i got sick of them one day so i opened the door and used their persistence against them.

i asked them if they could wait a few minutes while i go check on something in the oven, all the while sounding very interested.

i close the door. and wait 10 minutes. i went upstairs to a window to see if they were still there, and of course they were. i gave them a few more minutes, say 5 to 7, and then went around to my back door and let my 3 dogs outside. one is a basset hound/rottweiler mix, the next is a rather large cocker, and the last is a small rat terrier. now, all my dogs are completely harmless, but the beauty of this is that of course the jehovas witnesses dont know this. so as my 3 dogs barrel around the side of my house i delight in the sounds of the witnesses screaming their butts off and booking for the front gate.

one of them lost their weird backpack in my yard. came back for it a few hours later. i kindly handed it to the young man who gave me a very nasty look and slammed my front gate rather hard.

but all that aside, i would call the police regarding the trying to open the door. really they commited no crime, but all the better to make a big deal of it, it might show them that you really dont take kindly to their actions
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would've done something like adnedarn did. I would've went "YOU'VE CONVERTED ME!" and started dancing with them and wasting their time. It'd be quite funny. I've never lived in a big place so I've never had anyone try to come and "convert us". I really want soliciters, I'd LOVE that! It'd be AWESOME for them to come to my house once in awhile, I'd piss them off. The closest I've had is some guy with a mustache, balding on the head but still some hair, and he walks up my driveway, straight through my yard, and waves and goes, "Hi! I'm Tom Johnson!" or something like that, I was watering my CPs and I just slowly wave as he keeps casually walking through my yard then through the neighbors and keeps going.
    - NeciFiX

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123