Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A sad and unpleasant question

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy A sad and unpleasant question

My eldest chinchilla, Sarah, passed away last night, several days after a veterinary procedure to correct some crooked teeth. She had been recovering OK, but took a sudden turn for the worse around Thursday, and I didn't realize how serious the situation was until it was too late to get her to a clinic last night.
    Because I am a student and rent my home, I am reluctant to bury her in my yard, and I am unsure of what to do with her remains. Sarah was very precious to me and I want to honor her. It's kind of gruesome, and I feel strange asking it, but would it be OK to burn her body in my fireplace, so that I could save the ashes until I figure out what to do with them? I have a small wood-burning stove in my home. It gets quite hot when I get it going, so I'm fairly confident the fire would do the job, but this week has been difficult enough for me, I don't want to risk something like a chimney fire. Do any of you have any ideas about what I should do?
    Thank you,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry man
    Don't do it yourself man. There are places that will cremate your pet for you. Like these for example:

Aberdeen: Petland Cemetery, Inc., P.O. Box 184, Aberdeen WA 98520, (800) 738-5119

Bellevue:The Humane Society for Seattle/King County, 13212 SE Eastgate Way, Bellevue, WA 98005, (425) 641-0080, http://www.seattlehumane.org/euthanasiasvcs.shtml, humane@seattlehumane.org

Bothell: Mill Creek Pet Cemetery, 19816 Bothell Everett Hwy, Bothell, WA 98012-7122, (206) 483-1698

Burlington: Country Rest Pet Cemetery, 10252 District Line RD, Burlington, WA 98233

Colbert: Family Pet Memorial Garden, Colbert, WA 99005, (509) 467-4248

Kent: Pet Haven Cemetery, 23646 Military Rd. S, Kent, WA 98032-2833, (206) 878-7292

Redmond: King County Parks and Recreation Division Pet Garden - Marymoor Park, P.O. Box 3517, 6046 W. Lake Sammamish Parkway N.E. Redmond WA 98063-3517, http://www.metrokc.gov/parks/petgarden/, 206-296-4232 Fax 206-296-4341. "We offer a celebration wall that holds pet ash in the garden."

Spokane: Animal Clinic of Spokane, 6322 N. Wall St, Spokane, WA 99208, (509) 467-7100

Spokane Valley: All Pets Cremation Services, 12928 E. Indiana, Ste. #8, Spokane Valley, WA 99216, (509) 922-1285, http://www.allpetscremationservices.net, allpets@adelphia.net

Tacoma: Ark Northwest Pet Memorials/ Crematorium, Tacoma, WA 98402, (253) 536-8775,

Tacoma: Humane Society for Tacoma and Pierce County, 2608 Center St, Tacoma, WA 98409, (253) 383-2733

Tacoma: Tacoma Mausoleum & Mortuary, 5302 S. Junett St., Tacoma, WA 98409, (253) 474-9574 or (888) 474-9574; fax (253) 474-9575; http://www.tacomamausoleum.com/

Vancouver: Peaceful Paws Pet Cremation & Memorial Services, Inc., 6303 E. 18th St. Ste. B, Vancouver, WA 98661, 360.213.0323, http://peacefulpawscremation.com/

Wenatchee: Columbia Pet Service, 1466 S. Wenatchee Ave, Wenatchee, WA 98801, (509) 664-2963

Hope that helps.I advise you not do it yourself. I got that list from this place, BTW.
    http://www.pet-loss.net/resources/WA.html

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im really sorry.

but at a quick glance i thought you said my eldest child, and read the following, and, well, yeah! :0

Im sorry for your loss, but dont do it your self.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, looking into it, I'll be taking her to the vet in the morning for cremation. It will be hard to pay for, especially after the vet bills I already incurred, but I just don't feel right trying to bury her in my yard or something where I know the raccoons will come looking.
    Thanks guys,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your loss

Not the fireplace. It wont reach a high enough temperature to do a good job. And you don’t want your landlords asking about any strange persistent smells that may result!

You could bury her and plant a tree on the burial spot. A memory tree that will be large and long lived. It wont be marked, but when you see it, you’ll know, and that’s all that matters. If your into the new-agey kind of thing, you can think of the nutrients that was her going into the tree to nourish new life, so what she was will become a part of what the tree will be. You can do that with ashes too. Ashes would be easier to work with.

Goodluck-

EDIT: seems i was a little slow.
    that makes no logic

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear that dude. Its understandable. I have faced the same dilemma whenever a fish died in my collection 3 years ago. It's such a hard thing to do. Hope you can figure something out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My deepest condolences. I had to do my "Baby" (springer spaniel) a few years ago. NEVER AGAIN. Take her to a vet for cremation. It was my first time "putting down" an animal. Never again. She was almost 15 and had bad arthritis. I feel for you.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.