Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internet cable modem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Number's advice/links are great; use them. Also keep in mind that if you buy your own you are responsible for any technical problems you have with it. Yes, it's easy enough to get a new one if it dies, but do you have the know-how to diagnose it and know if itís dead? What if the settings need changed or get set incorrectly; do you know how to check and fix them? Leasing a modem from them should get you support with it as well.

Also consider the costs. If you only plan to be in the area, or stay with Comcast, for 12 months, then it only cost you $36 for the modem. If you decide after two months to try a different provider or technology, it only cost you $6. That also saves you the time spent specing out good ones, time spent trying to find and buy one, money spent on shipping, risks with buying a used product, etc.

I would also advise you check into speeds with local users as well. Cable modem speeds are inherently volatile. If a lot of people in your neighborhood are online, for instance, you may notice a serious drop in bandwidth. Also, while they usually offer speeds of 8 Mbit down, they will usually restrict you to 128 kbit up...that's extremely slow. Most people use down way more than up, but if you upload pictures for printing, play games, etc, the up speed is going to be important and 128 is a snail's pace.

SDSL will get you anywhere from 256 kbit both ways to 1.5 kbit both ways. The former is probably what Adnedarn had experience with. The latter will probably feel as fast as a cable modem coming down, and it will be much faster up, more reliable, and more secure to boot. Saying DSL is fast or slow is kind of like saying a car is fast or slow. A 'car' could be a 80 horse power Prius or a 600 horse power Ferrari. The same goes with DSL; make sure you know what speed you're getting before you buy (good advice for any kind of internet connection)

Verizon is also pushing their FIOS service around here, which offers either 2 Mbit both ways or 5 Mbit both ways. It's a ton faster than cable or DSL and cheaper in our area. I would personally look into this if you're going to spend that much (right now I just pay $19 for the super basic 384kbit ADSL).

The dslreports site that NaN linked to has speed tests; use them to test a neighbor's cable during peak hours if you can. Use that site to also learn about internet connections so you can make an informed choice.

Good luck.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nicholas- what settings on the modem?? Routers have tons of setting and can be difficult but with a modem you plug it in.. the lights turn on (from power down to activity) then you plug in your router. Then you plug in your Ethernet cable and configure your OS to get online. It seems Windows has gotten really easy since there was zero configuration for me to connect, and only minor adjustments for my router.. But I don't know about how easy mac is to configure. The new mac os i would guess is pretty automatic.

The DSL I was on was not the basic one...

Here are the rated comcast speeds... I've never personally experienced speed drop on the weekend... could be the popularity (or lack of) the service here... I'm on the 8Mbps 768Kbps plan... hence my pleasure of the speed (side not, I'm testing caplock's game and I download the just under 4 gb file in approx 40-55 mins)

Download speed Upload speed
    6Mbps 384Kbps
    8Mbps 768Kbps

If you currently subscribe only to Comcast Digital Voice, the following Comcast High-Speed Internet Service options are available to you:

4Mbps 384Kbps
    6Mbps 384Kbps
    8Mbps 768Kbps
    If you currently do not subscribe to any Comcast Cable TV or Comcast Digital Voice services, you will have the following options for Comcast High-Speed Internet Service available to you:

4Mbps 384Kbps
    6Mbps 384Kbps
    8Mbps 768Kbps
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Nicholas- what settings on the modem??
    It's been a while since I worked with a cable modem. But I know my DSL modem has an integrated firewall, along with a few other services. When I do any kind of special configuration, like port forwarding (required for almost every online game), I need to make the changes in both my router and my DSL modem. I don't know if cable modems are the same way, but figured I should throw that out there.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahh- I've never had to or heard of any type of setting in there.... On my external routers/firewalls I've never had to configure for game access either.. I set my router settings during install, get out, done... never have to go back. So it sounds like there are some differences between the two.

-Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verizon is also pushing their FIOS service
    What is that? I don't care what I use...I want FAST and CHEAP.

I have no experience with DSL so I don't know anything about it but I've heard everyone say its slower than cable. However...all this y'all are talking about sound a lot more complicated than Comcast made it sound. Lady on the phone said you just hook the cable to your computer. I don't know what it hooks to on the other end. I have no cable line to the room my computer is in.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fiber optics.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just figured that out. Ok...so I checked that and FiOS is not available for me. But Verizon offers high speed internet. Anyone familiar with Verizon...vs. stupid Comcast? I hate Comcast. Verizon seems cheaper...but I have no idea how they compare.

--------

Oh...is Verizon's "high speed internet" DSL??
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSLReports has ratings on the ISPs. Search by your zip code and see which ISPs are available and look at the ratings and user comments.

Verizon service should be DSL until they are allowed into the cable TV business.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast