User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with the Jena Six?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    No phission. It's only a hate crime when it's racially motived. If you beat up someone , it's assault, but if you beat them up BECAUSE they are another race then it's a hate crime.

Isn't the jury supposed to be randomly selected? In my town the entire jury would probably be white republican christians since that's the majority (vast majority ) And can't someone request a different lawyer if the one you are assigned sucks?

If it's true that the AA kids are treated so differently in school, why isn't the NAACP and ACLU going after the school board? Or are they?

I think what Phission means is that the public (or a judge) will interpret it like that. If I (who happens to be white) beat up a black person, many people would call it a hate crime. That doesn't mean that it was a hate crime, but that's how many (not all but many) people would imterpret it.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand how anyone can say that is a hate crime unless you had a history (hypothetically speaking of course) of racist ideation or another instances like that.

It's like that episode of Southpark where cartman throws a rock at Token (the only black kid) and gets charged with a hate crime, even though he only threw the rock because Token kept calling him fat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Isn't the jury supposed to be randomly selected? In my town the entire jury would probably be white republican christians since that's the majority (vast majority ) And can't someone request a different lawyer if the one you are assigned sucks? Do you mean to tell me that out of SIX people, they couldn't afford a real lawyer?
    The Juror POOL is randomly selected, but from those jurors the lawyers choose the actual jury. This is why if you show up to jury duty, you just sit a in a giant room with a few hundred others (at least in San Diego), and each different case being heard (each courtroom) will take about 50 Jurors. For each case being heard, the attorneys will ask the jurors questions that usually have pertinence to the case being tried. For example they might ask whether they had heard about the crime before this, or whether they have any feelings about race crimes. If they think they are not suitable as a jury member, then they dismiss them. You CAN request a different attorney if you feel yours is inadequate, but it is just that, a request. This is also to say that they were being represented by a public pretender (err public defender) in the first place. They may have pooled together money for an incompetent lawyer. If it was the public defender, the state may or may not have granted them a different lawyer upon request but usually they do not. This is actually a common complaint heard in the San Diego Courts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the zero from the 20 and that'll be an acceptable punishment.
    - NeciFiX

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think "hate crime" is being thrown around because of the previous incident of the noose and the relevance that incident has on the previous mistreatment of black people when the world wasn't so educated and people were not treated equally.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthusiast you hit the nail on the head.
    The white kids hung nooses in a tree. That is NOT a crime by any means. Sure, it was racially motivated and was meant to anger the black kids, but it was not a crime. Then the black kids, racially motivated and acting out of anger/hate, beat up a white kid. They're not getting charged with a "hate crime". Either everyone should get it, or no one should (thats what I prefer). There have been many many instances where whites were charged with hate crimes agasint blacks, but comparatively little (if any...I've never heard of it happening) blacks have been charged with hate crimes against whites, even though black on white crime occurs at a MUCH higher rate (2-5x...can't remember) than white on black crime. Again, not racism, but statistics.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with these statements. There is a double standard admitedly, but the wrong one is being sited many times. I do not know the full extent of the case but I heard the kid was given a concusion and his head repeatedly rammed into a brick wall. So take from it what you will. They should be charged with a "hate crime" since that i what notivated the crime to begin with. I thoguht it was intersting on O'reilly the other night there was a black guy on there calling the people who arranged the march hipocrits because he saw theri double standards as well. They were all over the white kids for something, but as soon as their black counterparts did the same thing or similar action as the white folks they were chastizing they refused to say anything.

About like Hillary Clinton not chastizing the moveon.org comercial but says she supports the General. Hipocrits!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I'm not sure that it necessarily qualifies as a hate crime. As Josh said, I'm not as educated about the case as I could be, but from my understanding they didn't beat him up because he was white. From my understanding they beat him up because he was associated with some of their student peers that had used poor judgment and participated in very inappropriate behavior. Not that that makes it justified; but it doesn't make it a hate crime either.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast