User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with the Jena Six?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's going on with the Jena Six?

I don't understand what's going on with Jena six. Why are people protesting when 6 people tried to kill another person? I realize that this is a racial issue but if they DID do it, why are people wanting them to be released (I think all but one has been released)? Or is it not confirmed that they did anything at all? What's going on?

All I know is 6 people beat up one, they were arrested and everyone wants them to be free. Why is this? What's the controversy? Clearly I don't know the whole story. Was the dude they beat up just some random person who happened to be under the "white tree" (how stupid!) or was it a racist?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue is that this incident is one in a long line of white vs. black conflicts and retaliations. From what I've heard, when the white students are the guilty party, they recieve only mild academic discipline (I believe police charges were dropped or steeply lessened,) while the black students consistently recieve the strongest punishments available. I don't know if much of anyone is disputing that the fight itself was wrong - it's the double-standard that folks are all twisted up over.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank god i listen in school!
    What's the controversy?
    The students were being tried with an all white jury and a white lawyer(who apparently sucked at his job). at first they were charged as adults(though one was 16) for 80 YEARS then it got dropped to 20 years.... the person attacked suffered from a black eye and few bruises. to me thats not worth even 20 years.
    Was the dude they beat up just some random person who happened to be under the "white tree" (how stupid!) or was it a racist?
    he was friends with the people who hung up the nooses in the tree.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The students were being tried with an all white jury and a white lawyer(who apparently sucked at his job).
    So what. From looking at things that appear in the news every now and then, black people like to complain about things like this a lot. What they fail to do in these types of situations is look at the law of probability. If I committed a crime in an area that was 90% black, and the jury was entirely black, that's not racism, that's probability. If an area with a 90-100% black population has a prison with a 90-100% black population, that's not the police being racist...that's probability. Yeah I think 80 years is a little harsh, but thats why this country allows you a seemingly endless appeals process. If you think the circuit court is twisted/doing a bad job/etc, you take it to state supreme or federal court. As seedjar said, here come the double standards. If a black kid beat me up, it'd be assault. If I beat up a black guy, no matter the circumstances, it'd be a "hate crime" that I'd get a much more severe punishment for, which I think is absolutely ludicrous (the whole concept of "hate crimes" that is).

If these kids did beat someone up, especially if it was a 6 on 1 fight, they need to suffer the consequences.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although probability is a big factor, I'm sure during jury selection the attorney for the white students immediately removed the few black members that were called for jury duty.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did't think the attorney on either side ever has the ability to do that?
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both attorneys (defense and prosecutor) can dismiss a certain number of possible jurors. This is a safeguard against rogue jurors who intend to skew justice. As for the jury being all white, the defense lawyer most likely chose several of the white jurors himself. This is not a bad thing, as not everyone is racist. Undoubtedly several of those white jurors would be unbiased. One of the real problems with the justice system is money though. Race actually plays a much smaller role in court than money. When you pay upwards of 10K$ for a lawyer to represent you, he usually knows what he's doing. Not only does he have more experience and knowledge, but these high-class lawyers work closely with prosecutors and judges, and often receive preferential treatment for their clients. I have seen it happen many times, and have some personal experience in that regard myself. I am not familiar with this case or incident (I haven't been watching the news lately ) but I would imagine if their attorney really was incompetent, than they were screwed from the get-go. Either way, ganging up on someone for a beatdown is never acceptable unless that person did something similar or worse.
    On a related note, here in San Diego, a professional surfer was recently beaten to death over a spilled drink at the bar. I personally hope they give everyone involved in the murder lethal injection. They did not intend to kill him, much as I'm sure these "Jena six" didn't intend to (and I know they didn't actually kill him), but their actions led to his (surfer's) death. They beat him senseless and he died from his injuries. It's this kind of thoughtless action that gets people like these guys into so much trouble/or shot. If the San Diego incident didn't occur in such a lame state like California, someone with a CCW would have put a hydra-shok round into the attackers' faces. I gurantee you the other guys would have stopped immediately. Sorry for the ranting, I just get so riled up when I hear about injustice and the defenseless.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No phission. It's only a hate crime when it's racially motived. If you beat up someone , it's assault, but if you beat them up BECAUSE they are another race then it's a hate crime.

Isn't the jury supposed to be randomly selected? In my town the entire jury would probably be white republican christians since that's the majority (vast majority ) And can't someone request a different lawyer if the one you are assigned sucks? Do you mean to tell me that out of SIX people, they couldn't afford a real lawyer?

If it's true that the AA kids are treated so differently in school, why isn't the NAACP and ACLU going after the school board? Or are they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast