What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue Ash, Ohio cop Chase

http://www.officer.com/videonetwork/index.jsp?showid=378811

Did he even have RIGHT to get on the hood of the car and empty a clip on the guy? Did the guy Die? I don't think the car was Trying to ram him at first, it was just trying to get away, resisting w/e it is cause i don't think it was an arrest yet, but if the guy was trying to ram him he easily could have rammed him.

Did he have the right? I dont know, was the man going for/holding a weapon? It does not say and you cant tell from the video.

There is absolutely NO background information, just a video. With no information at all about the suspect, case, or suspect behavior in the car during the chase, there is no way you can tell. Plus the video has been edited, obviously. There is no way to tell what was left out. The event sequence goes so fast, but did it really go so fast in life or were the “boring” parts removed? (an internets search shows that yes, there were good chunks removed from the film)

So some background info is called for, then.

An internet search says:
One man is dead and two officers are injured after an overnight chase and shooting...Officers said the driver of the car, Charles Wayne Bennett, tried to run over the officer, then raced away, turning onto Reed Hartman Highway... [sic]

Bennett, 37, was taken to Bethesda North Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Blue Ash police said two officers suffered injuries in the chase.

One officer was treated and released, while the other is still undergoing treatment.

and
Police said Bennett nearly ran into cruisers twice.

Those near-hits occurred while Bennett made a U-turn, accelerated toward officers at one point, twice bumped cruisers and rolled into the officer who ended up firing from the hood. Three officers fired shots but not all at the same time.

Bennett, 37, had numerous charges on his record. His most recent conviction was for panhandling and possession of marijuana in July.

Blue Ash officers are conducting a criminal investigation to present to the Hamilton County prosecutor and an internal investigation. Both are under the direction of Capt. James Schaffer.

So far, it appears Blue Ash police followed proper procedure during the pursuit and shooting, Schaffer said.

Four officers were placed on paid administrative leave. Being placed on administrative leave is departmental policy in such cases.
"tried to run over the officer, then raced away, turning onto Reed Hartman Highway"
This is before that video even starts. So you don’t even see why they were so aggressive- he tried to run over them initially and the police feared that he would attempt to make the same move again. Two cops injured already- I wonder why they felt they REALLY needed to stop him

Yes, of course. Sorry about that, here

I think i got the most relevant information in the quotes
quote 1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20478849/
quote 2
http://statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070831/NEWS/708310304/1001

Zapp, i understand where your coming from, but i also think that often We cant truly understand what spurred the decisions to use lethal force from the comfort of our homes. Its kind of a ‘you had to be there’ thing, as my officer friends have said, but thanks goodness im not there! But if I was there, given the suspects history, I THINK i would not have trusted this suspect who had a big criminal history and was driving a STOLEN CAR at the time not to be armed or desperate, though of course, you can misjudge a situation like this easily- perhaps these cops did. I don’t think so, but that’s just my armchair opinion.

That guy deserved to die if he did die. Period. Sorry, I'm not a liberal pansey. I say the cops did the right thing. He was an extream danger to the public. 100+ MPH, trying to ram cops,etc. We have to stop being so "Nice" to these scumbags IMHO.

Liberals aren't the ones who want every potential threat killed, so they aren't the pansies. As to whether the shooting was justified, I haven't seen anything that would make me say yes or no. While I oppose the automatic glorification of the police, many of whom are pigs (with apologies to real pigs), the police are put in an nearly impossible situation when confronted by someone with a deadly weapon. Whether that weapon is a gun, car or whatever.

Tommyr no one deserves to die. Cops are pushing it lately, but what can we do. They used to be nice, (of course to white upper class citizens) but now? They WATCH us and I feel so unsafe around police officers, even when I'm not doing any thing illegal.

true the guy shouldn't have ran, but I was just asking if people thought their was justification to shooting the guy.

Man do we have a problem with blind patriotism or something?

Cops are pushing it lately, but what can we do.

I don't think it's fair to generalize cops and them "pushing" it lately on a couple of high profile cases (two of which have been discussed on this forum). Are the lots of other cases of police abusing their force and duty that either I'm missing or are not making it on the news in my area recently?

xvart.

Tommyr no one deserves to die.

I beg to differ.

And if the quotes are true and the guy DID try to ram his car into the cop, then he did deserve to be shot. He was dangerous and was using his car as a deadly weapon.

In the last month, six police officers have been shot in the line of duty in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Two have died. One will spend years recovering from his wound.

I would strongly suggest that if you are pulled over down here for any infraction, that you cooperate fully with the officer. If you call them a "Pig"...you deserve what you get. Being tasered could possibly be the least of your worries.

These guys put their life on the line to protect you every day. They deserve your respect.

I replied to this thread in the above post and it did not appear in the "new posts".
Have any other members had this happen?

The cop was probably having a slow day, decided to say that the guy tried to hit him and have some excitement, you know a story to tell his grand kids, "Yep i got on top of a unarmed guys car and emptied a clip into his face, aren't you proud of your grandpa, sure he almost hit my car but that gives me just reason to shoot him". Im completely for you guys he was trying to evade the law, thats illegal, but what happens next time you get pulled over, you get taserd and taken in for breaking the law. He should have just pulled over and he would be alive.

Im sorry but this is WRONG.

Back in communist west eruope, "police" would purposely make the crowd (a protest or something of the sort if they could even get that far) mad, so they had a reason to arrest them, same things happening in the states now, you can be wrongfully arrested or even killed. Yea people need to be more compliant with the law, things would be easier, but still going out of your way to make some one seem like they have done something wrong, isn't right.

We are losing our freedoms to a soon to be police state! Hundreds of thousands military weapons have been given to the PD of large city's! Do they need this its not like they dont allready have enough force, and police batons hurt, and tazers hurt, and rubber bullets hurt, dot hey really need tanks, and m-16's?

Maybe im just touching random topics to maybe open your guys eyes, but I know its not going to get through to any of you guys. Cause it doesn't get through your precious brainwashed media.

I think the problem is just apathy. I mean I read your post and honestly, I feel the same now as I did before.

We see this stuff on the news CONSTANTLY and it doesn't affect us anymore. When I turn on the TV, I see and hear "Murder murder murder terror terror terror corruption corruption corruption blah blah blah" and it's just commonplace and nothing really shocks me anymore. I'm sure half the population being on antidepressants, most who don't genuinely need them (not that I'm complaining what people do. It's a lifestyle drug) doesn't help. Thymoanesthesia is great.

nepenthes_ak

You would be a lot more convincing if you were not making wild conspiratorial speculations on a motive for the beginning of the chase seeing as you have absolutely no evidence of what happened besides what is in the “brainwashed media” that you are discounting anyways. With no video from the start of the chase and ignoring the only source that says what happened, I would like to know if this is based not on evidence that can be debated, but on a conviction that cannot be in error.

The cop was probably having a slow day, decided to say that the guy tried to hit him and have some excitement, you know a story to tell his grand kids

This comment is ridiculous and extremely ignorant. I would be insulted reading this if I were a law enforcement agent; in fact, I'm somewhat insulted anyway. Despite what you may believe very few people are out to get you, if any. The cops in the car next to you are not waiting for you to forget a turn signal so they can pull you over and harass you. The cops are not waiting for your car to come within a foot of theirs so they can have a hayday and shoot you because they finished their sudoku puzzle a little too fast and they have nothing better to do.

xvart.

Last edited:
The cop was probably having a slow day, decided to say that the guy tried to hit him and have some excitement, you know a story to tell his grand kids, "Yep i got on top of a unarmed guys car and emptied a clip into his face, aren't you proud of your grandpa, sure he almost hit my car but that gives me just reason to shoot him". Im completely for you guys he was trying to evade the law, thats illegal, but what happens next time you get pulled over, you get taserd and taken in for breaking the law. He should have just pulled over and he would be alive.

Im sorry but this is WRONG.

Wow, just wow....I completely disagree. I'm done with this thread....

If they are poor then they've got no business buying "self medication" in the first place. If there's one thing I can't stand it's poor people who can't afford to keep their property nice or give their kids proper care or further their own education, yet they can afford booze, lottery tickets, cigarettes and dope.

I say we do away with the quota system.

Back