What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a free/online program that can...

joossa

Aklys
Hello. Recently I have been in need of a program that can resize an image without loosing much quality (resolution). I am not computer savvy whatsoever though. I always use MS Paint to make all of my computer images (like all my avatars and sig pictures). In fact I am fairly confident when using Paint (not that it takes a genius to use it well…). Anyway, I cannot shrink/enlarge an image without loosing quality. …Most end up looking extremely pixilated.

Is there some kind of online program or free software that I can use just for resizing images without losing the picture’s quality?

Thanks for the help.

Try Adobe Photoshop. The best on the planet. The. Best.

Hey necifix its " free software" lol.. if only Photoshop was free... thats another story. Photoshop is friqin awesome! CS3!! yeahh!!

Hey necifix its " free software" lol.. if only Photoshop was free... thats another story. Photoshop is friqin awesome! CS3!! yeahh!!

Free trial.

i use irfanview. i resized my avatar on the left from a standard photo to that size. this is what it was originally. i first cropped the section then resized it to 100x100
IMG_1660.jpg

Alex

You cn try Artrage at www.artrage.com you can downlod the free trial and see if it allows image resizing of acceptable quality. I've never bothered with Artrage since I have Photoshop 7. It has everything I need (and way more I don't need) but I've heard Artrage being called the poor mans photoshop (doing almost everything PS does for $25). Artists say it's more intuitive than PS, regardless, the trial is free so you're not out anything but the download time if you have a slow PC.

Edit:
Joossa I wanted to say your illustration rocks, have you got a website showing your work?

90% of users wont use 99% of the features of Photoshop CS and higher(and prolly a few of the ones before that). i have both Photoshop CS2 and what ever Photoshop Elements version came out about 2004.......i generally just use Elements for messing with my pictures....CS2 takes a long time to load and for what im doing wont use all the extra features i can get Elements going, resize a couple of pictures and get it closed before CS2 can get the picture open(its a big dang program),,.....its on there as a back up incase the wife needs to use it for work at the paper......she uses an aweful lot of the features of Photoshop and Indesign CS2 for the newspaper.........IIRC the current version of Elements runs around $100 if you just have to have Photoshop.......however unless your in the publishing buisness you wont really use the full version........

I use Photoshop and mess with some other photo programs from time to time to see whats out there. The best free program that I found, and beats Photoshop only because it's free, is Gimp.

http://www.gimp.org/

I don’t want to dive into PhotoShop just yet. I’m looking for something fast and easy, like MS Paint (LOL).
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll try them out over the weekend and see which one suits my fancy.

Edit:
Joossa I wanted to say your illustration rocks, have you got a website showing your work?
Oh, I don’t like transferring my work on the computer. I don’t have a good quality scanner or programs (except at school) and I’m not much of a graphic artist. I prefer to keep all my drawings on paper in a nice binder at home. :) The reason I need the resizing program is mainly for photographs.

A website makes a nice "free" portfolio to point potential buyers/liscencers of your art to (whether you work in traditional ink, clay or digitally), I hope you'll consider it, at least in the future.

Do you mainly do creatures like your Lovecraftian Venus Flytrap on your profile and the skull pumpkin avatar? These have such a fun style I'd love to see more sometime!

Like I mentioned before I don’t like to upload my work on the computer that often. I draw lots of ideas from almost everything I see and read, like video games, comics, movies, and of course cartoons. I mainly stick to cartoon characters and large abstract doodles. The VFT picture is not mine, it’s a FinalFantasy enemy beta sketch.

To clarify, I DON’T use MS Paint to draw my avatars from scratch (LOL, I got a PM saying how surprisingly good it was for doing a freehand in MS Paint). I have to admit I laughed when I read it. I use MS Paint to format pictures, drawings, scans, or screenshots in order to make them appealing as avatars, wallpapers, etc. I really haven’t used any of my drawings as avatars, at least not often on this forum.

Here is something (it was my previous sig picture) I made in MS Paint using only two different pictures:
RUSig.jpg

Alright, so I downloaded and tried out the following: IrfanView, PictureGirdle, and PIXresizer.

IrfanView and PIXresizer were just what I was looking for. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Back