Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beef Jerky as a pizza topping?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beef Jerky as a pizza topping?

It's been a long time since I've initiated a frivolous topic on the discussion forum, but I wanted to banter this idea around with you. Now every pizza place has anchovies as a topping and virtually nobody actually orders it. Even I like it in limited quantities. I'd much rather have bacon or sausage or pepperoni... But I came up with the norion that beef jerky oughta be given a try, since we have these other "meats". We have a family tradition, whereby I make a crust in the breadmaker and my wife puts it all together. Generally speaking, she will make pepperoni, a Buffalo chicken, and a veggie pizza. I'm tring to convince my wife that beef jerky would be a tasty and legitimate topping, even if it is a bit on the chewy side. Whaddya think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By itself as a topping, it's way too salty. I like to balance that flavor with the sweetness of Sarracenia rhizomes. Wild-collected S. jonesii are best, but others will do in a pinch.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I worked downtown Minneapolis we had a menu for Eddie's Pizza Shop that had ostrich as an available topping, we always joked about ordering it but never did. No sense blowing $20 on a pizza no one will eat!

Not to blast your idea but what kinda beef jerky would be soft enough to eat on a pizza? I know slim jims are easy to bite apart but some beef jerkies I've had I couldn't even cut with a serated knife. Does it soften up in the oven? I've never tried heating it.

I once put sliced bratwurst on pizza (cut thin like pepperoni) but it came out with the crust all soggy cos the wurst was real greasy, even though I pre-cooked it and absorbed "all" the grease with a napkin.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if you can get away with that contrasting consistency; but if you can get some good beef jerky that isn't too chewy then I think you could have a legitimate idea on your hands!

Another thing to try that's real easy is just some tuna (from a can.) We've always had it be a normal thing in my house, but I've never met anyone else who has done it too.

Let us know how your jerky pizza turns out!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually tried tuna, once! (Surprise, surprise!) That wasn't terribly impressive. What I was thinking was NOT Slim jims, but the stuff that comes in the bags that leave the ciontents half empty, but not the Jack Links type. My apporach was to have the individual pieces cut up real small, as one would cut up bacon. This way you won't be gnawing on it forever. I still have to convince my wife of its legitimacy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll pass!

Jerry

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to make jerky from sliced sandwich meat. It was really thin and crispy, not chewy at all. It still had the taste of jerky. You might want to try something like that.

When I was in the UK they put corn on pizza. I thought it was weird but I tried it anyway. It was ok but not impressive.

Here's a hint for you to save you a lot of grief from your wife. Don't make jerky out of fish. It stunk up the whole house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love jerky,I would do that !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast