What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Mushrooms Bad?

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bog

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I have some large mushrooms growing in my bog. I've never had that happen before. Is that a bad sign?

Occasionally I've had a couple pop up in one of my Nepenthes pots. I think I remember reading somewhere that it's not bad; but possibly even good as it helps a symbiotic relationship with some of the microorganisms in the soil mixture. I always pluck 'em out though, as I don't want them to spread everywhere. Of course, mine were never "large."

xvart.

Of course, mine were never "large."

xvart.

:offtopic: Can you please stay on topic. I was asking about mushrooms.

Just dont eat them, last thing we need is a dead ozzy. Or something ealse.

Mushroom fungi are usually decomposers of organic matter. It is probably breaking down the peat in the bog.

Some mushroom species can be very destructive diseases, like Armillaria Root Rot, but the species I have heard of that do such things usually attack trees.

Are Mushrooms Bad?

I've had some that were reeeeeeeeaaaally good. But that was back in the "good ol' days". lol They tasted pretty bad though... :eek:

Ohhhhh...you meant growing... It means you have conditions ripe for supporting fungi.

Look at this beaut! I thought this one was fascinating...

Tasted bad? "Those" kind taste good! And they smell like a mixture of feet and old cheese. It's a good smell, though.

I like those green glowing ones. They are cool. And of course Amanita Muscaria are very pretty (and cute!)

Tasted good?? If that tastes good, I'd hate to see what you think tastes bad. lol

Awww come on! They don't taste bad at all! I think they taste better than normal button mushrooms (cooked. Raw is OK).

And they make your tongue blue. Now if that's not cool what is lmao. But that's enough about that :)

I think bleu cheese and chewing tobacco are pretty nasty. And Kava Kava (it's a drink) is probably the nastiest substance I've ever encountered. BEER is desgusting, too.

"Honey look a Noni fruit !" "Lets buy one and try it they are suppossed to be a very healthy thing for you."
"They take a bite"

They puke :puke2: :puke:
Noni that are just ripe are extreamely nasty very nasty:-D :-)) And to make juice they ferment to alchohol and other "healthy" things.

On mushrooms I had them in my mulch in hawaii how i killed them ? I mixed up a fungicide and hosed down the chips because they were making them decompose. I heard that some can really ruin your cp mixes by decomposing your lfs and peat. When I was a complete NOOB to cps I had a nep that I potted in bark and lava rock i moved to oregon and when I came back the stuff get really "shroomed" and the bark got decomposed.

Is that like a durian?? I've always wanted to try a durian.

Oh I love bleu cheese! Great on a burger with onion. YUM! I'll agree with you on the beer thing. That is nasty stuff.

i get mushrooms growing in my flowers pots. Think they like the moss or something

I posted a topic abot this earlier I believe... back a while ago, some mushrooms started poping up with my sandersonii...I doubt that they will do any harm....I pulled them out though, because they smelled nasty, and didn't like the way they looked...You know, after a few weeks they stopped appearing, but just recently the same kind popped up next to my nep sprouts... If you don't like the way they look with your CP's then I'd say pull em out...I only found them to be aesthetically unpleasing, but other than that I wouldn't worry.

-Gabe

They are nasty never tried durrion,
if you get a white squishy fruit take a bite of it please :-D
I never had the guts to do so..........

But how do you know they are nasty if you never tried them? ??? Supposedly, they don't taste like they smell.

Back