Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snake Legal troubles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Suzanne,

Fed laws are asinine sometimes. I think the more idiotic thing is that it is not even widely published. I only learned about it when I was looking into the possibility of getting a sugar glider. Found out they were illegal here (one of only 2 states in the US and for the dumbest reason) and followed a link to GA F&W page and saw the thing about native herps. If I had not for that series of coincidences I'd still be clueless.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called the local university and they told me they could not help me. I know I just talked to the wrong person, but I don't know how to track down the right person who can help. I called my vet and they gave me the name and number of another vet who specializes in reptiles. That vet is suppose to call me Monday to see if she can help.

I called the Cape Fear Serpentarium, ran by Dean Rippa. Great place. I have posted pics from there in the past. The avatar you see to the left is one of their animals.

http://www.capefearserpentarium.com/property.html

I talked to the girl at the front desk and she said they would help me if I brought Lucy in. I'm planing to be there at 1pm today.
    Last edited by Ozzy; 10-19-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are on the way to keeping her. Let us know how it goes.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are going to give Lucy up??

Fed laws are asinine sometimes.
    I wonder if that's because there are SOOO many laws on the books that half the time even the "authorities" don't know what they are. I guess no one wants to take the time to update or refine them.

I don't really get the "looks like" part of it. If its NOT the exact species that's outlawed...why does it matter that much if a snake LOOKS like that species.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to give an update.

I took Lucy to to Cape Fear Serpentarium. The guy took a quick look and said it was a eastern Kingsnake. Personally I don't think you can look at a common kingsnake and decide it's an eastern as fast as he did. If you're looking at a wild snake that was found in a certain area I think you can be quite certain which one you have.

Anyway, the guy told as far as he knew there was no "Protected" kingsnakes. I told him that the Outer banks King was on the species of special concerns list. He told me that that list really don't mean anything. There is no protection for animals on that list. The state told me different. They said that you couldn't keep, sell, or kill the animals on that list.

The guy there showed me their permit to keep endangered animals and it listed all the snakes on that list. It listed the southern hognose. Last I checked the Sothern hognose was on the species of special concern list not the endangered. Maybe my info is out of date concerning that, but that doesn't explain the other differences in their info.
    He also said that banning one species because it resembled another is very strange. On the way home I thought of something else really weird. If it is illegal to have an eastern kingsnake because it closely resembles an outerbanks, then why is it not illegal to have an eastern hognse because it's harder to tell them apart from the Southern (which is endangered) than it is to tell the two kingsnakes.

Anyway the guy called the herpetologist that decides which reptiles to put on the different lists and left a message for him to call him back. He also left a message to the woman I talked to from the state that started all this.

I'm going to call him tomorrow and see if he has heard anything.

After I got home the vet I left the message with called me back and I made an appointment for Nov 3rd to take her in. They are going to take pics, do scale counts and determine which species she is.

Today I got a call form the wildlife officer that I was trying to get intouch with in the first place. So I asked him about the kingsnake issue. He told me that he was unaware of any protection for eastern kingsnakes. He's going to research it and call me back. He did tell me that you are not allowed to keep any wild animals without a permit. The woman from the state told me that you can have up to 4 wild snakes. So it seems that nobody really knows whats the laws are even the people that enforces them. These are the same people that protects the cp's here.

I'll keep you informed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you can keep lucy!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez. They ought to be embarrassed at all that misinformation floating around! Seems like no one knows what the laws are. But if you have conflicting laws on the books, outdated lists, etc.....then what good is any of that doing what it was supposed to protect?

Maybe its look brighter for Lucy after all.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an interesting tidbit that could resolve this whole thing rather easily. According the the rules that govern DNR/F&W, if they come to search your house they are only allowed to search the rooms that you give them permission to search. And if they can not physically see the animal in question then there is nothing they can do to you about it.

So, just quit talking to DNR?F&W and put Lucy in a back room or some such. If they come over to your house then close the door to that room and tell them it is private and they are not allowed to go in there. They are required to respect that request.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast