Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam View Post
    look up Dim mak and Chin na.
    Just reading the words "chin na" makes my stomach flutter. I know the translation, but it seriously wouldn't surprise me if it translated to "turn grown man into 7-year-old girl".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BJJ is undisputably the best when you're on the ground, hands down (not great for a street fight though). If you think otherwise, watch UFC.[/QUOTE]

Judo is actually better in fact than jujutsu. And this was proven. When juso first came Japan had a competition with their best fighters of judo and JJ. Judo won hands down with a 1 tie. Judo uses the oppnets force. So lets say a 5' dude was in a fight with a 6' dude, the shorter guy would use his opponets momentum to bring him down and from there its chokes which can kill in 30 secs (used by both arts) or armbars (which is the only lock a judo player can use in a randori) or other locks.
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by endparenthesis View Post
    Just reading the words "chin na" makes my stomach flutter. I know the translation, but it seriously wouldn't surprise me if it translated to "turn grown man into 7-year-old girl".
    Look up dim mak. you'll puke if chin na makes your stomach flutter...
    The Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam View Post
    Look up dim mak. you'll puke if chin na makes your stomach flutter...
    I'm aware. It just doesn't conjure up the same painful memories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by endparenthesis View Post
    I'm aware. It just doesn't conjure up the same painful memories.
    oh...taken it? or did someone use it against you? you dont have to answer me just asking.
    The Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JJ and BJJ aren't the same. When did this Judo/JJ thing happen anyway and who was involved? BJJ uses an opponents force at least as effectively as Judo. I've seen horribly mismatched fights (in terms of body mass) go to the smaller guy a loooot of times. I was only 140 then and beat people that were 220, even people a bit better than me. Hell, Royce Gracie was only 180 and beat people wayyyy above that. I've seen BJJ vs. Judo fights go both ways, but I've rarely seen judo win. As I said, in that video with the kids...(I'll try to see if I can find the name of it).

EndParenthesis:
    That story came from my BJJ teacher, who learned BJJ from the Gracies...in Brazil.

rattler:
    look up the Japanese MMA fighter known as "Iron Chin".
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam
    oh...taken it? or did someone use it against you? you dont have to answer me just asking.
    It's not an art. It's just the chinese term for joint locks, basically. They like tearing things... taking fingers in all sorts of crazy directions they were never meant to go. Not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps
    That story came from my BJJ teacher, who learned BJJ from the Gracies...in Brazil.
    I didn't mean your story. I meant the standard "traditional arts are archaic and useless" rigmarole that you tend to hear from any MMA guy within two minutes of even mentioning martial arts. There are misconceptions being spread on both sides. Just reminding you to be wary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh. What I said is just how I feel personally...I've never actually heard that from anyone else lol. I hang out mostly with bodybuilders instead of straight up fighters. While I know for a fact all the ancient arts were crazy deadly back in the day (like....1100....), I just can't see them being that good now, since 1) people don't still fight wars only with swords and whatnot (unfortunately) and 2) you're never going to need to kick someone off a horse. I live in West Texas and I can't even remember the last time I saw someone riding a horse...

And btw, in judo's defense...I did see a bear use a judo move once (I'm not kidding).
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast