Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=endparenthesis;847463]It's not an art. It's just the chinese term for joint locks, basically. They like tearing things... taking fingers in all sorts of crazy directions they were never meant to go. Not fun.

Define "art". Chin na is an art with an art (kung fu). But yeah its supposed to rip joints outta sockets, break bones and cause internal bleeding with POWERFUL grip!
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    JJ and BJJ aren't the same. When did this Judo/JJ thing happen anyway and who was involved? BJJ uses an opponents force at least as effectively as Judo. I've seen horribly mismatched fights (in terms of body mass) go to the smaller guy a loooot of times. I was only 140 then and beat people that were 220, even people a bit better than me. Hell, Royce Gracie was only 180 and beat people wayyyy above that. I've seen BJJ vs. Judo fights go both ways, but I've rarely seen judo win. As I said, in that video with the kids...(I'll try to see if I can find the name of it).

EndParenthesis:
    That story came from my BJJ teacher, who learned BJJ from the Gracies...in Brazil.

rattler:
    look up the Japanese MMA fighter known as "Iron Chin".
    Jigoro Kano an expert jujutsu fighter and the founder of judo and another sensei both had a friendly competition with their students way back in the early 1900's. It was to determine which art was to be taught to police. Judo won hands down. Bjj is very similar to JJ and judo is even closer to JJ, but despite the similarities the aggressive JJ fighters lost to the patient judo players. You also have to remeber that JJ competitions have different rules that judo players have. I'm not sure too much on the difference (me personally). But give each black belt the same rules and enjoy! Also remember that these judo players (the ones way back when) were taught by the founder himself! He took out all strikes and attacks that relied on strength. Thats why judo won.
    The Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam
    Define "art". Chin na is an art with an art (kung fu). But yeah its supposed to rip joints outta sockets, break bones and cause internal bleeding with POWERFUL grip!
    It's just a general blanket term, just like the term for japanese locks would be kansetsu waza. I could do a joint lock used in ancient rome or something and to a chinese person it would be chin na. I'm just saying that the most painful locks I've seen so far came out of China.

Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps
    you're never going to need to kick someone off a horse
    Yes, that's one of the many infamous myths. Just like "katas teach you how to fight multiple attackers at once" and "hitting a guy upward into the nose will push the bone into his brain."

I've never heard of an olden day master who would recommend a kick even above the solar plexus. Maybe in a chinese or korean art, but sparingly, and only with real skill. People training for combat were utilitarians through and through. If they did something stupid, they died. All those cheesy kung fu movies have made the public think otherwise.

I feel bad for people who are taught these things by clueless teachers. I'd be glad to see some BJJ guys demolish most shopping center instructors in front of their students just so they'd see they're giving their money to the wrong person. It might do the martial arts world some good.

Required reading for anyone looking for a school: http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...ewarticle&id=3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    as i said....most fights go to the ground in fairly short order.....which is why its idiotic to put your kid in karate to teach them to fight......cant think of many MMA fights that i have seen where they didnt go to ground short of putting to guys with strong backgrounds in karate or such together.......cant think of many real fights that didnt go to ground either.....short of the "most non-hardened fighters cant take a good shot to the jaw" rule.......
    Okinawa karate teaches iron body. This means (for those that dont know) that the body is trained to take hits that the average man cant take and it wont phase him. Such as a horse kick to the abdomen. I've seen a karate sensei snap a baseball (wooden) bat like a toothpick with the inside of his forearm. Also i saw him break through 3 wooden boards with his thumb. There are all sorts of ways of preventing a fight from going to the ground. Its just gotta be in your knowledge. A guy tried to pick me up and i dropped into horse stance and he had a hell of a time tryin to get me off my feet. I wasnt budgin. I weigh 170 btw.
    Theres also iron hand which emphasizess the same: harden the hand. The hand is strengthened and the skin thickened like a calouse but not noticible if you do it right. A man once killed a horse with a slap to the back. Horse died within hours. Did an autopsy. Spine was bruised. Caused internal bleeding. Bled to death.
    The Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way back in the early 1900s, BJJ didn't exist. As I said I've seen it go both ways, but BJJ dominates the ground these days.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most ppl who arent hardened fighters cant take a solid hit to the jaw
    Mmmm because many of those ppl have not taken enough hits to the jaw to be hardend to them, mayhaps?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prolly Finch.....however your average person things a hit to the jaw is no different than anywhere else, prolly from watching alot of boxing....fact of the matter is that the average person cant take a good hit to it have watched to many average guys fall because of it.....and im not talking massive power be hind the punch, just talking a good solid hit. some ppl cant get over it, which is where the term "having a glass jaw" came in boxing, though its rare to see a boxer get very far anymore if they cant take the hit. im by no means a hardened fighter.....and as i said i have no interest in fighting....other than screwing around with my brothers havent been in a fight in over 7 years. but shots to the jaw and head dont bug me, least not in a time frame important to a fight, more than likely due to the same quirk of genetics that leaves most the guys in my family tree immune to it, whatever it is............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, a but, though I would like to point out that how tough a guy thinks he is has no real correlation to how he can take a hit (or much else for that matter). There are few things more annoying than a guy who talks crap but when it hits the fan… yeh, then you know they’re all talk.

Most people can tolerate a hit if they can be conditioned to it, there is no real elite of people who are genetically superior in that than anyone else.
    that makes no logic

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast