What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martial arts

Boxers can duck and weave, and hit insanely hard...what more do you need when you're on your feet? Nothing.

as i said....most fights go to the ground in fairly short order.....which is why its idiotic to put your kid in karate to teach them to fight......cant think of many MMA fights that i have seen where they didnt go to ground short of putting to guys with strong backgrounds in karate or such together.......cant think of many real fights that didnt go to ground either.....short of the "most non-hardened fighters cant take a good shot to the jaw" rule.......

and as i said i have most of my teachings from an old school street fighter who beat the chit out of ppl with his hands not knowing if the other guy was carrying a weapon.....i also am not a fighter and short of messing around with my brother have no interest in fighting......however unlike most ive been around who do fight, and mainly put on a half assed show....i know how to win and if pushed to fight know damn well how to kill or incapacitate the other person.....which is totally different from MMA type fighting....though i prolly wouldnt last 15 seconds against one of those guys the chances of me actually running into one that wants to fight me......well im better off buying lottery tickets.........oh and due to genetics....im not the type that has a glass jaw that will drop to a good shot to it...niether is my dad or my brothers.....have had it partially dislocated twice, once if a school yard fight, once screwing around with my brother.....doesnt phase me anymore than getting hit most anywhere else

Thats not true about kung fu. I took kung fu for a bit and the art is very useful if you know what to do. Karate is just as effective if not more than muay thai and muay thai is watered down from the ancient art of Mae muay thai. JJ is effective, I will give you that. Very effective. But so are many arts. Its just a matter of the knowledge you have at your disposal. Kung fu is used by China's police force and military so i know its not ineffective. And the kicks are only a small part of kung fu. Look up Dim mak and Chin na. Both very effective in todays standards.

the other thing to keep in mind is if you know how to fight for real....even if its just street fighting.....win or loose, generally the other guy has zero interest in fighting you again. ive only been in a handful of fights and got my arse kicked more than once, however, i never had anyone try to fight me a second time.....was not worth going through a second time for them even if they did win..........

look up Dim mak and Chin na.

Just reading the words "chin na" makes my stomach flutter. I know the translation, but it seriously wouldn't surprise me if it translated to "turn grown man into 7-year-old girl".

BJJ is undisputably the best when you're on the ground, hands down (not great for a street fight though). If you think otherwise, watch UFC.[/QUOTE]

Judo is actually better in fact than jujutsu. And this was proven. When juso first came Japan had a competition with their best fighters of judo and JJ. Judo won hands down with a 1 tie. Judo uses the oppnets force. So lets say a 5' dude was in a fight with a 6' dude, the shorter guy would use his opponets momentum to bring him down and from there its chokes which can kill in 30 secs (used by both arts) or armbars (which is the only lock a judo player can use in a randori) or other locks.

Just reading the words "chin na" makes my stomach flutter. I know the translation, but it seriously wouldn't surprise me if it translated to "turn grown man into 7-year-old girl".

Look up dim mak. :poke: you'll puke if chin na makes your stomach flutter...

JJ and BJJ aren't the same. When did this Judo/JJ thing happen anyway and who was involved? BJJ uses an opponents force at least as effectively as Judo. I've seen horribly mismatched fights (in terms of body mass) go to the smaller guy a loooot of times. I was only 140 then and beat people that were 220, even people a bit better than me. Hell, Royce Gracie was only 180 and beat people wayyyy above that. I've seen BJJ vs. Judo fights go both ways, but I've rarely seen judo win. As I said, in that video with the kids...(I'll try to see if I can find the name of it).

EndParenthesis:
That story came from my BJJ teacher, who learned BJJ from the Gracies...in Brazil.

rattler:
look up the Japanese MMA fighter known as "Iron Chin".

BuddhistAdam said:
oh...taken it? or did someone use it against you? you dont have to answer me just asking.

It's not an art. It's just the chinese term for joint locks, basically. They like tearing things... taking fingers in all sorts of crazy directions they were never meant to go. Not fun.

phissionkorps said:
That story came from my BJJ teacher, who learned BJJ from the Gracies...in Brazil.
I didn't mean your story. I meant the standard "traditional arts are archaic and useless" rigmarole that you tend to hear from any MMA guy within two minutes of even mentioning martial arts. There are misconceptions being spread on both sides. Just reminding you to be wary.

Ohhh. What I said is just how I feel personally...I've never actually heard that from anyone else lol. I hang out mostly with bodybuilders instead of straight up fighters. While I know for a fact all the ancient arts were crazy deadly back in the day (like....1100....), I just can't see them being that good now, since 1) people don't still fight wars only with swords and whatnot (unfortunately) and 2) you're never going to need to kick someone off a horse. I live in West Texas and I can't even remember the last time I saw someone riding a horse...

And btw, in judo's defense...I did see a bear use a judo move once (I'm not kidding).

It's not an art. It's just the chinese term for joint locks, basically. They like tearing things... taking fingers in all sorts of crazy directions they were never meant to go. Not fun.

Define "art". Chin na is an art with an art (kung fu). But yeah its supposed to rip joints outta sockets, break bones and cause internal bleeding with POWERFUL grip!

JJ and BJJ aren't the same. When did this Judo/JJ thing happen anyway and who was involved? BJJ uses an opponents force at least as effectively as Judo. I've seen horribly mismatched fights (in terms of body mass) go to the smaller guy a loooot of times. I was only 140 then and beat people that were 220, even people a bit better than me. Hell, Royce Gracie was only 180 and beat people wayyyy above that. I've seen BJJ vs. Judo fights go both ways, but I've rarely seen judo win. As I said, in that video with the kids...(I'll try to see if I can find the name of it).

EndParenthesis:

rattler:
look up the Japanese MMA fighter known as "Iron Chin".

Jigoro Kano an expert jujutsu fighter and the founder of judo and another sensei both had a friendly competition with their students way back in the early 1900's. It was to determine which art was to be taught to police. Judo won hands down. Bjj is very similar to JJ and judo is even closer to JJ, but despite the similarities the aggressive JJ fighters lost to the patient judo players. You also have to remeber that JJ competitions have different rules that judo players have. I'm not sure too much on the difference (me personally). But give each black belt the same rules and enjoy! Also remember that these judo players (the ones way back when) were taught by the founder himself! He took out all strikes and attacks that relied on strength. Thats why judo won.

BuddhistAdam said:
Define "art". Chin na is an art with an art (kung fu). But yeah its supposed to rip joints outta sockets, break bones and cause internal bleeding with POWERFUL grip!

It's just a general blanket term, just like the term for japanese locks would be kansetsu waza. I could do a joint lock used in ancient rome or something and to a chinese person it would be chin na. I'm just saying that the most painful locks I've seen so far came out of China. :)

phissionkorps said:
you're never going to need to kick someone off a horse

Yes, that's one of the many infamous myths. :) Just like "katas teach you how to fight multiple attackers at once" and "hitting a guy upward into the nose will push the bone into his brain."

I've never heard of an olden day master who would recommend a kick even above the solar plexus. Maybe in a chinese or korean art, but sparingly, and only with real skill. People training for combat were utilitarians through and through. If they did something stupid, they died. All those cheesy kung fu movies have made the public think otherwise.

I feel bad for people who are taught these things by clueless teachers. I'd be glad to see some BJJ guys demolish most shopping center instructors in front of their students just so they'd see they're giving their money to the wrong person. It might do the martial arts world some good.

Required reading for anyone looking for a school: http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=3

as i said....most fights go to the ground in fairly short order.....which is why its idiotic to put your kid in karate to teach them to fight......cant think of many MMA fights that i have seen where they didnt go to ground short of putting to guys with strong backgrounds in karate or such together.......cant think of many real fights that didnt go to ground either.....short of the "most non-hardened fighters cant take a good shot to the jaw" rule.......

Okinawa karate teaches iron body. This means (for those that dont know) that the body is trained to take hits that the average man cant take and it wont phase him. Such as a horse kick to the abdomen. I've seen a karate sensei snap a baseball (wooden) bat like a toothpick with the inside of his forearm. Also i saw him break through 3 wooden boards with his thumb. There are all sorts of ways of preventing a fight from going to the ground. Its just gotta be in your knowledge. A guy tried to pick me up and i dropped into horse stance and he had a hell of a time tryin to get me off my feet. I wasnt budgin. I weigh 170 btw.
Theres also iron hand which emphasizess the same: harden the hand. The hand is strengthened and the skin thickened like a calouse but not noticible if you do it right. A man once killed a horse with a slap to the back. Horse died within hours. Did an autopsy. Spine was bruised. Caused internal bleeding. Bled to death.

Way back in the early 1900s, BJJ didn't exist. As I said I've seen it go both ways, but BJJ dominates the ground these days.

most ppl who arent hardened fighters cant take a solid hit to the jaw

Mmmm because many of those ppl have not taken enough hits to the jaw to be hardend to them, mayhaps?

prolly Finch.....however your average person things a hit to the jaw is no different than anywhere else, prolly from watching alot of boxing....fact of the matter is that the average person cant take a good hit to it have watched to many average guys fall because of it.....and im not talking massive power be hind the punch, just talking a good solid hit. some ppl cant get over it, which is where the term "having a glass jaw" came in boxing, though its rare to see a boxer get very far anymore if they cant take the hit. im by no means a hardened fighter.....and as i said i have no interest in fighting....other than screwing around with my brothers havent been in a fight in over 7 years. but shots to the jaw and head dont bug me, least not in a time frame important to a fight, more than likely due to the same quirk of genetics that leaves most the guys in my family tree immune to it, whatever it is............

Eh, a but, though I would like to point out that how tough a guy thinks he is has no real correlation to how he can take a hit (or much else for that matter). There are few things more annoying than a guy who talks crap but when it hits the fan… yeh, then you know they’re all talk.

Most people can tolerate a hit if they can be conditioned to it, there is no real elite of people who are genetically superior in that than anyone else.

Back