Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martial arts

This includes MMA, pankrachea (spellled right?) the french style that is translated as old shoe (dunno the word...sorry), kung fu, judo, karate, tkd, etc. You're experience, why you chose to study that art how long (rank if there is any), or just your knowlege on the arts themselves!
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    taekwondo, my parents are both blackbelts and teach the sport. Mum's a 4th degree, and my father is... higher. I dont remember exactly.

I took classes when i was younger and got several belts, but i lost interest around... 9ish? Perhaps younger, even. Afraid i dont have much knowledge of the sport- i blame familiarity of it. It was familiar, and thus ordinary for me when i was young… so I got bored. They are great teachers, but, I had more fun romping through the woods on my own time than training with them.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    taekwondo, my parents are both blackbelts and teach the sport. Mum's a 4th degree, and my father is... higher. I dont remember exactly.

I took classes when i was younger and got several belts, but i lost interest around... 9ish? Perhaps younger, even. Afraid i dont have much knowledge of the sport- i blame familiarity of it. It was familiar, and thus ordinary for me when i was young… so I got bored. They are great teachers, but, I had more fun romping through the woods on my own time than training with them.
    Aw man i'd rather be in a school anytime!! Course im a mantid nerd as well!
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Frogger
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive taken Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for about 10 years, I have a black belt, but have recently had to take a break, The new baby arrived and i no longer have alot of time for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHen I was younger I took Kuk Sool for a number of years. Then I quit because I realized that most of those ancient style martial arts, i.e. kung fu, karate, kuk sool, etc, aren't that useful at all (especially in the MMA world). When they teach you, it seems like for most of those moves to actually work, your attacker would have to be running around with legs spread yelling "kick my in the crotch", and moving abotu 5x slower than a normal person. Also, some of those flying kicks and whatnot are designed for what? Kicking people off horses....useless these days. Also, seeing 8 year old kids beat high degree black belts in kung fu, karate, tae kwon do, and pretty much everything else you can think of with BJJ really does some damage to those arts's reputations. I'm not saying they're not cool or useless to study, but if some hooligan comes at you with a gun, some crazy flying judo chop is going to get you killed, especially when you could bust out some righteous krav maga or muay thai and leave the attacker broken and bloody. I took BJJ for a while and picked up some Muay Thai from a room mate that had taken it for a while. BJJ + MT = unfreakingdefeatable. Had to quit BJJ because it was insanely expensive, unfortunately.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    WHen I was younger I took Kuk Sool for a number of years. Then I quit because I realized that most of those ancient style martial arts, i.e. kung fu, karate, kuk sool, etc, aren't that useful at all (especially in the MMA world). When they teach you, it seems like for most of those moves to actually work, your attacker would have to be running around with legs spread yelling "kick my in the crotch", and moving abotu 5x slower than a normal person. Also, some of those flying kicks and whatnot are designed for what? Kicking people off horses....useless these days. Also, seeing 8 year old kids beat high degree black belts in kung fu, karate, tae kwon do, and pretty much everything else you can think of with BJJ really does some damage to those arts's reputations. I'm not saying they're not cool or useless to study, but if some hooligan comes at you with a gun, some crazy flying judo chop is going to get you killed, especially when you could bust out some righteous krav maga or muay thai and leave the attacker broken and bloody. I took BJJ for a while and picked up some Muay Thai from a room mate that had taken it for a while. BJJ + MT = unfreakingdefeatable. Had to quit BJJ because it was insanely expensive, unfortunately.
    The original practitioners of those ancient martial arts would agree with you wholeheartedly. Today's incarnations of them are almost always a joke. Broken and bloody is exactly the result you get with the few people who've managed to keep the ancient torches lit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the issue with most of the martial arts is they have no game plan once you hit the ground and have to grapple with an attacker........they assume you will be on your feet with the attacker.....which is how it goes for the first lil bit of the fight.....look for maritial arts that teach yah what do do if yah hit the ground if your serious about learning to fight.........seem to remember a MMA's guy talking about how he hated fighting anyone with a strong Judo background cause he knew the fight was going to be on the ground and not on his feet........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who thinks they are undefeatable… must not understand the concept. Unless you’re a proven world champ, your defeatable by somebody.
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast