User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: yea! i'm a homowner! how do i make a garden?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing you're doing a better job with the child then you did with Butthead.

Nice house. You should have plenty of sunlight for your cp's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice place

Pfft everyone has Cape Myrtles down south... plant something that isnt so common! Its like the crabapple of the north... very nice, but entirely unremarkable/

Humm, a herb garden.
    Well first i would recommend, before you commit to putting anything in the ground that you aren’t going to entirely replace the soil for (like cp's) is to have a some soil tests done. Very inexpensive if done at the right place, soil composition and PH is very important so you know what you are working with, so you can choose plants accordingly. One of my parents neighbors went out and bought a $200 red oak once they moved in. Problem is they only grow on acid soils… and ours is alkaline. The tree has since died. They could have avoided that loss of money and time by simply getting a soil test. Its probably one of the most important things you need to know about your yard- if its acid or alkaline, clay or sand. It will save a lot of headaches later.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put a barrier in between the soil and the peat that you'll be growing the cp's in, then you shouldn't really have to worry about it that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    What does it say on the driveway? Nawf Sloe?
    I believe it says "nawf side", which when translated to English it means north side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poolboy101 View Post
    I believe it says "nawf side", which when translated to English it means north side.
    yes. it came with it's very own... uh... art? and there someone kicked the gate to my fence in and there is a graveyard of beer bottles in the corner of my yard. some kids were using it to party apparently while it was vacant. i can't really complain though because it's like foreclosure city. got this beauty for $20,000 less than it's worth, and it's in near immaculate condition.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. i knew i came to the right place. Ozzy, i can't believe you remember poor Butthead. Jesus is doing well. The relatively new red dragon is not faring so well. Hopefully in spring they will all kick it into gear. i looked at the Home Depot today and they didn't have squat. i was looking for an itty bitty pond liner or something so i can make a mini bog. but then, what about drainage?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice house! Great backyard, too. I can't wait to get a yard of my own, for the exact reason you are inquiring about.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few threads on people making bog gardens. It's outlined in Peter D'Amato's "Savage Garden".

Either build a raised "tub" or dig a hole in the ground say 18 inches to 3 feet deep. Line/level the hole with gravel and/or sand, line hole with plastic sheeting or a pond liner. Fill with peat/sand mixture. A few drainage holes on the side a few inches below the surface to prevent flooding.

Congrats.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can look at the thread where I built my bog, I show how I did the drainage system in it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=109348

I think we all should bow our heads and remember Butthead. May he rest in peace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast