What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone identify this bird?

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
Any one know what this is?

DSCN6127.jpg

This was in Rochester, NY if location matters. Oh, it can walk vertically on the bark of trees, too.

Thanks,
-Ben

white-breasted nuthatch?

Common Nuthatch! Lots of the them up in the Thousand Islands.

That was quick. Thanks. I kept thinking that this thing was a woodpecker since it was climbing around on the bark all weird. But it was eating seeds, so I got kinda confused. I'll post some more picks of chickadees eating from my hand in a couple minutes.

DSCN6036.jpg

DSCN6056.jpg

DSCN6072.jpg

DSCN6085.jpg

DSCN6096.jpg

That kid in the background is lying down 'cause they put seeds on his face to see if the birds would land on him.

DSCN6102.jpg

DSCN6125.jpg

DSCN6129.jpg

-Ben

Nice birds, but you need to forget the birds and check on that dead body in your 5th pic.

That's what I would say too if I just put seeds on a kid and he was pecked to death by chickadees.

white-breasted nuthatch?
Yup. White-breasted Nuthatch. Nuthatches typically walk as easily face-down a tree as they do up.

Also - watch for Red-breasted Nuthatches. As the bird lists all up & down the east coast have been reporting since ~ Sept, this is an irruption year where many more than normal numbers of these guys come south into the US. The RBN's are slightly smaller than the WBN's and even more active.

Also - watch for Red-breasted Nuthatches. As the bird lists all up & down the east coast have been reporting since ~ Sept, this is an irruption year where many more than normal numbers of these guys come south into the US. The RBN's are slightly smaller than the WBN's and even more active.

I know i saw one on campus. Completely surprised me to see a boreal forest bird on a plains honeylocust in the middle of a busy campus! made my day.

Very tame birds there. Did you do all that hand-feeding training by yourself?

HEY! I love doing that too..but at the end I feel soo bad that i am probably contributing to making the bird loose some its self-dependence and making them DEPEND on humans. :( :-(

but I had the time of my life. Just having had the opportunity to be a perch for these babies was enough satisfaction for a month. :p

1512890736_c4ce617999_o.jpg

1512890602_3ec8fd670b.jpg

I know they are horrible pics...but I was too excited to set it into auto focus.

I was also feeding chipmunks :p

1512032835_c80c156d79.jpg

This was all at the ROYAL BOTANICAL GARDENS, HAMILTON, ONTARIO.

It was such a great time. Soo wonderful.

HEY! I love doing that too..but at the end I feel soo bad that i am probably contributing to making the bird loose some its self-dependence and making them DEPEND on humans.

Studies show... that is a false fear. There is nothing that they depend on you for really. Its not like they forgot or cant feed themselves. The food you give is only a small part of what they need to eat... like bugs .

Very tame birds there. Did you do all that hand-feeding training by yourself?

No, there is a park where the chickadees come around fall, and I guess somehow people managed to tame them over the years. Many people know about this, and hand feed them. I didn't know that other birds would come to your hands until today.

Considering that birds need to eat their body in weight in food everyday (I think), they'd obviously have to rely on something else to eat when people aren't there.

-Ben

yeah! but in the years and years, wouldn't birds slowly not bother to go and look for food but rather start depending on free meals?

The photo of the sun shining through the trees is very nice.

Chickadees don't need to be trained to do that or to lose any fear of humans - they seem to be attracted to people even when in the middle of nowhere. I'd almost always have at least one tagging along whenever I was in the woods in Maine. Especially when I was digging test pits. They'd gather around and, as soon as I'd step away, they'd fly down and pick through the disturbed ground. I figured they were looking for insects or seeds and I almost always had at least one for company. It's probably a great survival strategy in the north woods - find a large animal and follow it around because it'll stir up things to eat and maybe scare chickadee predators away.

That kid in the background is lying down 'cause they put seeds on his face to see if the birds would land on him.

And did they?

Nice birds, but you need to forget the birds and check on that dead body in your 5th pic.

lol. Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

xvart.

That is awesome! So they are wild birds that will do that? Not park birds used to people and hand-feeding?

I love chipmunks!! I have a few but they are shy and nervous. I don't seem them often.

And did they?

Lol yeah.

That is awesome! So they are wild birds that will do that? Not park birds used to people and hand-feeding?

Yes and no. They are wild, but they are used to people hand-feeding them. I think they migrate here every winter or something, and people come around this time every year and feed them.

-Ben

Back