Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American contributions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the Stans it is. Well...they quickly moved on to opium. And Marijuana is derived from a Spanish name....so I suppose that is misleading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the "inappropriate" was syphilis. The generally accepted view is that it originated in the New World, but some people disagree. If it did start here, it spread around the rest of the world far faster than peppers.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no actually they have found syphilis in the old world not, I believe 13th century england. So it predates contact. This was a recent find in the last few years. Though this is still hotly debated.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought syphillis originated from Paris Hilton?
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people disagree with the diagnosis of those pre-contact English cases. That was the PBS or Discovery or whatever show about skeletons with evidence of syphilis that were found under an old monastery? Until they find Paris Hilton's signature on an old guestbook, some people will remain skeptics. Whether the New World can continue to tout itself as the source of the world-wide outbreak of syphilis or can only say it's the home of Paris Hilton, does it really make any difference?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyherrera View Post
    Not so. I couldn't use the U.S. Dollar in Europe. And it's illegal in Cuba. Punishable with long prison sentences.

wow..I guess you are right then, since Europe and Cuba are the whole world!
    If the US dollar isnt used in Europe or Cuba, I guess that must logically mean it isnt used anywhere else in the world either.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    the US dollar is used all over the world.
    its totally global.

I suppose Europe and Cuba are not part of the world then. They aren't "global".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so. I couldn't use the U.S. Dollar in Europe. And it's illegal in Cuba. Punishable with long prison sentences.
    The U.S. dollar, even though it is technically illegal in Cuba, is highly valued and used extensively in blackmarket transactions. As far as Europe, it is readily accepted but it is simply easier to change dollars into Euros since most vendors do not have access to dollars to give you change.

PAK, potatoes originated in Peru and quickly spread throughout the rest of the world because of their good taste, nutritional value and ease of growth…and they go well with corned beef and cabbage. Vodka was originally made from potatoes. I wonder what the Russians drank before Columbus returned?

Chimichangas.
    That’s a good one, and tacos and chili and rellnos and tortillas and burritos. I could go on and on. I love Mexican food.

I know Mexico has the earliest archaeological evidence for cotton in the world.
    I did a search on cotton and believe you are correct on that. See I learned something else.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast