What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American contributions

The “hottest pepper” thread started by Glider got me wondering about flora and fauna that originated in the Americas and spread worldwide. So far, this is all I can come up with. Can any of you think of others?
Corn
Hot peppers
Chocolate
Rubber
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Vanilla
Coca
Tobacco
Pumpkins
Dionaea
Turkeys
NASCAR & Budweiser :beer:
Bourbon

Some of our species that are introduced and naturalized

Conifers
Abies grandis
Abies procera
Chamaecyparis lawsoniana
Cupressus macrocarpa
Pinus contorta
Pinus strobus
Pinus radiata
Pseudotsuga menziesii
Sequoia sempervirens
Thuja plicata
Tsuga heterophylla

Most used in forestry plantations and escape.

other trees
Red oak
Black locust (very invasive)
Boxelder
Juneberry
honeylocust

Weeds
goldenrod
ragweed
fireweed
other weeds

Animals
American mink
American Bullfrog
Grey Squirrel
Ruddy duck
Canada Goose

Things we actually eat
Modern Strawberry
Blueberry
Juneberry
Cranberry
Prickly pear
Allspice

...And quince too.

sunflowers
Guinea pigs (cuy) and yes some people do eat these
lots of different beans
cashews
Peanuts
squash
pineapple
cotton (I dont recommend eating this one, buts still an important domesticate)
llamas (again some people do or at least did eat these but more important for its wool)

Nascar also raced in Japan a few years ago.

Really? Okay, keep it then. I wouldn't know about budweiser.

Sarracenia, drosera sp., heliamphora, brocchina, catopis, darlingtonia, etc...to name some cp's.

The-tree-whose-bark-makes-asprin-but-i-forget- it's-name, vanilla orchids, uhhh...i give it a good thinkin and get back to ya...

Salvia
Some Psilocin containing mushrooms
Buffalo meat
And Of course Ozzy :-))

Chinchillas! Dionaea!

White willow, the plant aspirin was derived from, is native to asia and europe. Believe it or not, crack doesn't come from the crack willow!

Blah, probably inappropriate

Last edited:
If "inappropriate" is what I'm guessing it is, I think there's some doubt about its New World origin.

LSD? isnt it derived from Ergot? IT was made in the States right? The ergot fungi is all over the world though it was brought over from Europe?

If "inappropriate" is what I'm guessing it is, I think there's some doubt about its New World origin.

LSD? isnt it derived from Ergot? IT was made in the States right? The ergot fungi is all over the world though it was brought over from Europe?

Lol nah, it was just a joke spin-off from JLAPs previous post. Something about smoking crack willow leaves.

Edit: Yes it is derived from Ergot, which is found, I believe, on rye. Though I have heard that the name applies to many different types of fungus. Anywho, Mormons come from the Americas lol... interesting history there.

Last edited:
I threw NASCAR in the list as a joke but the more I think about it, it is a viable American export, as are the NFL, NBA, and baseball. Bourbon is very definitely an American product and its' primary ingriedent is native to The Americas.

by Kutlu
sunflowers
Guinea pigs (cuy) and yes some people do eat these
lots of different beans
cashews
Peanuts
squash
pineapple
cotton
These are great choices for the list that I did not think of...except possibly cotton. I am not sure it originated in the Americas. Cuye is a staple food in Ecuador and is actually quite good. It tastes a bit like roast pork.

Finch, I did not know Alspice is native to the Americas. I learned something. I use it a lot in my cooking.

JUNEBERRY?

What the heck are juneberries??

I'll say the "innapropriate" one. I think Cannabis originated in Mexico.

LSD is kosher but Cannabis is inappropriate? lmao

I always thought it came from Asia around India, Afghanistan. And all of the other miscellaneous "stans" I guess!

Lauderdale, most of the cotton grown around the world comes from the native American species. I know Mexico has the earliest archaeological evidence for cotton in the world. I believe there are species native to the old world that were domesticated but were replaced by new world species after contact due to various reasons.

I forgot to include manioc in that list too. Its not eaten all that often in the United States but is an important part of the diet for many South Americans.

Back