What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what happens when you leave your debit card in an ATM?

Sooooo since i live in a :censor:hole of a town, the water company (which is still city owned for some reason) doesn't accept anything but cash, so I had to go to an ATM today. I did the little transaction deal, got the money, put it in my wallet, and drove away. At the very beginning I selected "no receipt", so I know after giving money, the machine wasn't waiting on a response in regards to that. But anyway, what happens after that? Does the card just hang out in there (it was a debit card, so no one will have my PIN), or would it stay active and someone would be able to get all my money? Does it "time out" and spit the card out/eat it if there isn't a response within a certain amount of time?

I checked on my PC banking, and it shows my transaction as occuring (about 3:30pm), but no other transactions for the day. I first realized my card was missing at about 8pm. (anyone know how long those things lag?)

I already cancelled the card through the bank.
But yeah basically I need to know if I'm screwed for my entire account's worth of money or what...

you should be safe. i know that with PNC(my bank) the ATMs time out. cant remember how long it is.
Alex

as far as I know ATM transactions show up immediately on the online banking account. SO if u see no transactions...that means u must be fine considering that you already cancelled the card by notifying the bank. Basically u don't have to worry about anything apart from the pain of driving to the bank to pick up another one or waiting for a new one to be mailed.

yeahh boyyeeee. THings are better than I thought then. If I only had $6 total, I think I would go swallow a grenade.

it's my understanding the machines time out and then eat the card... good luck!

I'm embarassed to say that I've done this a few times myself. Anyway the machine times out and eats the card. If the ATM is in a "secure" location, such as in part of a bank you can retrieve the card from the bank for 1 business day after you left the card. Otherwise the card is destroyed.

Once when I was in London (UK) I used an ATM there to get some local cash. Unlike the machines I'm used to in the US it pops the card out after you enter the PIN. I was wondering what was happening when it swallowed the card after about 15-30 seconds. I went ahead with the withdrawal and waited for my card to be returned. Nothing. I went into the bank and they had someone to retrieve the card for me. It was somewhat embarassing to explain to them the differences between the procedures. At least the display could have said "Please remove card" or something of the sort.

I'm confused! Do cash machines in the US give you your money and then give you your card? Over here it's the opposite - you have to take your card back before it will dispense the money.

If you walk off without taking your money though, it takes it back in in 15 seconds or so and recredits your account.

All ATM's that I've been at beep at ya really annoyingly until you retrieve your card. You can't walk away from your card unless you are truly deaf.

I have come across three different "card return" procedures for ATM's around here, (Rochester, NY)

1. The machine takes your card into itself, and spits it back out only after all transactions are done. (the most common)

2. Machine takes in card, and spits it back out after you enter pin, then you complete transactions. (fairly common)

3. swipe card, card never enters machine at all. (least common)

and the "timeout" is quick..like 10 seconds or less.
you only have seconds to grab it..
the machine will "eat" it before the car behind you can even get to the machine.

Scot

I'm confused! Do cash machines in the US give you your money and then give you your card? Over here it's the opposite - you have to take your card back before it will dispense the money.

If you walk off without taking your money though, it takes it back in in 15 seconds or so and recredits your account.

This was in the mid/late 90's - all the machines in the US that I've used (since the mid 70's) would hold the card until you told it you were done with all transactions. These are essentially full service transaction machine that allow you to deposit, withdraw, make loan payments or tranfer funds between accounts. Just about any transaction you would make with a human teller except special documents such as banker's cheques. The only exception are "Fast Cash" which would return your card after dispensing the cash and receipt. Thinking back the time out was very short - maybe 15 seconds.

All ATM's that I've been at beep at ya really annoyingly until you retrieve your card. You can't walk away from your card unless you are truly deaf.

Not all the machines beep, it depends on the model and manufacturer. Unless you are using the "Fast Cash" transaction full service ATM (allows deposits,payments, transfers and balance inquiries) will not return your card until you tell it you are done. These are full service machines that allow you to do many transactions. Thus it is possible for one to forget to press the "done/return card/no more transactions" and walk away. In this condition the machine is not chiming, yet it still has your card. It probably will start beeping if no activity is entered after a time out period and then "logout" and keep the card if there is no activity after a second time out.

Most practical. I wonder why more ATM's are like this?

xvart.

The swipe types are typically in "monitored" locations such as a convience store or a bar. These types of machines are more vulnerable to vandalism. These are usually Cash Machines as they only allow you to withdraw cash or take a cash advance from a credit card and not true Automatic Teller Machines. Cheaper to manufacture these are usually owned/operated by parties that are not banks - like those check cashing firms.

Most practical. I wonder why more ATM's are like this?

xvart.

I agree. Most machines here have you dip the card in and then out, so it eliminates the problem.

That's the way it goes with my Wells Fargo ATMs. You tell it you want a certain amount of cash, it spits the card out, prompts you to take it and then gives you the money.

Does anybody else have a bank that uses ATMs that don't use envelopes any more? I still feel bizarre putting a check / cash DIRECTLY in to the ATM.

Yep, its my understand the machine eats the card after a short time. My bank makes you push a button to get your card back (which is annoying although I guess they are allowing you to make other transactions). I think you get the money after you get your card.

It's been so long since I made a deposit at an ATM I didn't know some places aren't taking envelopes.

Back