What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

back from hunting...............no pics of dead critters included.......

heres the first pics........first walk Saturday morning

we left town at about 4:30 am so we could be out on the end of 6th ridge by day break.....we timed it about perfect. my father in law stayed at his cabin at the Pines(at the end of 5th ridge) and drove over to about 2/3's the way down 7th ridge to watch incase we spooked any elk out and across the flats to him....he wasnt going to walk down off of the west side of 6th....he had more brains than us.....the ridges run about parallel but a mile apart.

heres the start of our walk from the overlook
IMG_0074.jpg

hiked quite aways through this kinda stuff
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

we stopped and had breakfast(a couple granola bars) on the top of a bald gumbo knob at the bottom of the timber

Darla glassing, she does have orange, she had taken off the jacket earlier in the walk cause she got hot.....when we stopped to eat the breeze was cool and she just slipped the coat on, figureing since i was right next to her in orange and we had the ridge to ourselves she was safe, she took it back off after we got up
IMG_0048.jpg

looking from the knob over to 7th ridge.....Darlas dad would be about center in the pic on the other ridge....we had a 15 minute breakfast for them to find us via the spotting scope since we had no clue where exactly we would go when we started walking....turns out the never did see us
IMG_0046.jpg

turned 180 to look the way were going to go from the pic above
IMG_0047.jpg

on the walk we saw alot of poor defenseless trees that got beat up
IMG_0050.jpg

Darla standing in a fairly fresh elk bed....one of a dozen or so....funny thing, they are only about 100 yards from the road but you cant see the spot from the road
IMG_0052.jpg

found an eagle feather to(screwed up on the crop hence the red border on one side....was in a hurry to get these up over lunch)
IMG_0054.jpg

we then walked the road back to the truck.........on the way back we saw where out truck made tracks in the soft powdery gumbo.....overtop our track we saw where a one of this years calves crossed the road and went down into where we just walked.

here is 6th ridge as seen from my FIL's look out.....red dot is where we parked.....blue dot is where we had breakfast.....yellow is where we came out at...........took about 3 hours with the 15 minute breakfast, walking at a good pace. mainly trying to scare some elk out and across the flats.....was only halfway looking for a buck. my wife didnt even carry her rifle.....she said only one of us was stupid enough to shoot something down in there......wonder what she ment by that?

IMG_0073.jpg

coming tonight.................crappy critter pics........

Beautiful scenery. I'd love a hike like that.

I'd really like to go back to the green swamp.

Really...I'd like to be outdoors anywhere.

Thanks for not posted dead animals. lol :D

some of these photos suck do to trying to use a point and shoot camera at rapidly moving targets or the lighting sucked.......

as we came out from our walk Saturday morning and were driving over to meet up with the inlaws this guy ran across in front of the truck out of nowhere.....wasnt expecting it so the camera wasnt ready so Darla just tried to get a pic of him on the way to the next county
IMG_0055.jpg

ran into these does, bout a 100 yards from the road, on Block Management land so we coulda drove right up to one to load it bt it was about 10:30 and already 55, supposed to hit 70.....didnt want to have one bouncing around in the truck all day when it was that warm.
IMG_0057.jpg

ran across some speed goats
IMG_0066.jpg

on the way back to the cabin we ran into some does in the no shooting area around the Pines......25 feet from the truck and not a care in the world
IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

lil farther down the road i spotted this whitetail buck.....for being in the middle of mule deer country there are more than a few whitetail at the end of 5th ridge where the cabins are at. i snapped this pic quick in the twilight and bailed out of the truck when he went into the trees to get a better pic......we played a lil hide and go seek.....as i was sneaking around a rather large bush expecting him to be by a different one about 30 feet away we bumped into each other circling the same bush at about 5 foot away......startled me enough i didnt get a picture before he took off like a mad man.........
IMG_0070.jpg

If Rattler doesn't have the nerve to post a dead animal photo, then I will.

1330Loin%20Porterhouse%20Steak.jpg

:grin: didnt post one cause i dont have one unless you want me to post my wifes doe from last year..........have 2 more weekends of hunting left if i go out

Cool share rattler =). What kind of rifle do you use, and what is it chambered in? Also, what kind of scope do you use, if you use one?

i use several but my go to gun is a Kimber 84M Montana in 260 Remington(308 necked down, or 243 necked up depending on how you want to look at it) with a Leupold VXII 6x36 scope........with scope its a full pound lighter than the next lightest rifle without scope......i think it weights in at a round 5.75 or 6 pounds ready to hunt.

i use several but my go to gun is a Kimber 84M Montana in 260 Remington(308 necked down, or 243 necked up depending on how you want to look at it) with a Leupold VXII 6x36 scope........with scope its a full pound lighter than the next lightest rifle without scope......i think it weights in at a round 5.75 or 6 pounds ready to hunt.

Ahhh very cool =). I hear the ballistics (and recoil) on the 260 Rem. have the potential to be better than the .308 given the right load... do you handload?

Edit: How do you like the Leupolds? I have been considering getting one for a Savage 10LE 20" chambered in .308, but I hear they are overpriced for their relative (compared to others) performance.

depends on what your after....i find leupolds to be great values for the money, especially the VXII's. the VXIII's and higher are comparible to most the high end European stuff. also Leupolds have a life time warenty that the factory VERY MUCH stands behind. the VXII 6x36 is prolly my favorite scope, light weight, rugged and the 6 power works greeat for the hunting i do......i like something like a 3x9 or so on walking varmit rifles but for hunting i find the straight 6 do do everything i want and looks right on my lil Kimber. i didnt get a shot at a buck a few years back due to cheap optics........not going to make that mistake again on a serious hunting rifle.

what are looking at getting?

oh and on the 260......if i was hunting elk more i would have went with a 308 but i handload and i like 6.5's(must be my nordic heritage :grin: ), mostly hunt deer speed goats and coyotes and when this one came up for sale i jumped on it, besides witht he right bullet it will drop an elk just fine........all my other rifles, including my wife petite lil Remington 7 Youth rifle feel down right chunky compaired to the lil Kimber. i care more about the rifle than the round.......good bullets in the right places do good things, the rest is just minor details.....the critters dont much care if the bullet through the lungs came from a 260 or a 416 Rigby...........

the critters dont much care if the bullet through the lungs came from a 260 or a 416 Rigby...........

Lol :-)) I was thinking of getting a "Trashco" (Tasco) Super Sniper... not sure what power yet tho. I keep hearing that term Trashco tho, but I know many marines and LE officials that say it is a worthy scope. I heard somewhere that Tasco doesn't do their warranty service anymore though, and has it done by someone else. But for ~300$ it is supposed to be well worth it. I'm not sure which Leupold I would get if I went that route though. Basically, I want something accurate out to at least 300 yards, but with the capability of 1000 yd. shots. (then again, i'm not sure if the short bull barrel is the one for the job).

you do realize a 1000 yard shot is a whole 'nother ball of wax than a 300 yard shot? and if your shooting at 1000 you defiantly should have better than an expensive piece of crap like a Tasco(BTW thats the brand that lost me my buck 2 years ago)....hell my 6x36 Leupold VXII was only $300 a couple years ago.........most anything will get yah to 300 yards, ive pulled off head shots on coyotes at 200 with a 1-4x Leupold scope set on 4x.......for 1000 yards i would be looking at dumping atleast $600 into a scope as well as the best range finder i could find........the main thing to remember is you cant hit what you cant see. yah need good glass for long range shooting for the most part.......though i have seen amazing things done at 1000 with iron sights, but the sights on those rifles cost more than my scopes as well as the shooters knowing EVERYTHING about their load and gun. a crappy scope does more harm than good.

BTW since you have a Savage here are some pics comparing my Savage(in 223) to the Kimber. the savage is blued steel, the Kimber is stainless

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Hrmmm... Maybe I will look into the Leupolds...

I understand a 1000 yd shot is much much much different than a 300 yard shot... that's why I would probably have to get a leupold if I wanted to be able to shoot out that far... but as for the 300 yard shot, I think that the Trashco might be fine. Then again, if it cost you your buck... Bah... I suppose I should just get the rifle first and go from there =). I'm thinking I'll be picking one up in a few weeks.

actually if your only looking at 300 to start with.....there are lower end Leupolds.....Weaver also makes a good cheap scope as does Nikon in their lower end stuff.....would take any of those over a Tasco........

Back