Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in the Mail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost in the Mail

So heres the story. 2 weeks ago I ordered a game off of eBay. Today I got a message from the seller as a reminder to leave her feedback. I replied and told her that I hadn't received the item yet. She told me that she had shipped it out the following Monday via priority mail. It hadn't been insured and has no tracking number. Its been 8 'shipping days' so far so its long overdue. Is there some way to contact USPS and have then check around for it or am I screwed out of $10? I trust the seller, she had 2 games up for bid and the person that bought the other on Nov. 4th (same day as me) had already left positive feedback by the 9th.

My game.. NOO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no insurance, no delivery confermation....your screwed....had a money order sent PO to Texas take two months to get there.....also had a first class letter take 6 months to get to the other side of the state.......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be thankful that it was not a plant. I had a D. derbyensis take about a month. Needless to say, the plant didn't have a chance. Actually took quite a bit of effort to try and find anything resembling a plant amongst the formerly green mass of mush ...

Otoh, you still have a chance that it may someday appear ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what kind of feedback should he leave?

Positive? And state that he never received the game however?
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm turning the keyboard over to my mom, long-time eBayer and retired USPS worker:

- If she paid for the Priority Mail shipping online, there should have been a tracking number automatically generated. If she paid in the post office, however, and didn't specifically ask for one, there is no way to find the package.

- DON'T leave her any feedback yet. She doesn't earn a positive feedback from you unless you wind up with the game in your hand. Don't leave her a neutral or negative feedback either because that ticks a lot of Sellers off and they'll turn right around and leave a negative feedback for you - even though you did nothing wrong. Most likely the package is lost. It might still show up, but probably it won't. You can re-read the shipping terms that were described in the auction and see whether the Seller claimed she was going to have the package insured or have a tracking number added. If you paid to have the package insured and she didn't insure it, then she owes you the money you spent on the item and its shipping cost. If she wrote into the shipping terms that she was not going to either insure the item, or add a tracking number unless you requested and paid extra for them, then you are probably up the creek without a paddle. Get mad. Do whatever you need to do to get it out of your system, but don't leave her negative or neutral feedback because she might turn around and leave the same for you. More than anything else on eBay, you want to protect your positive feedback rating. If you win another auction, try to get the Seller to insure or at least add a tracking number to the item. Things usually don't get lost in the mail - it's basically a gamble - but every now and then they do. You have my sincere sympathy.

back to the real me: In summary, just leave it without feedback. If you end up eventually receiving the game, or if you work out an agreement with the seller, then you can leave positive feedback. But leaving positive feedback without having received your product isn't right, and as my mom pointed out, leaving neutral or negative feedback can come back to bite you.
    Last edited by Presto; 11-14-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added my footnote
    -Emily

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is true that if you don't request insurance or at least delivery confirmation, you're pretty much screwed. And...although the seller SHOULD leave feedback first (as once you have paid and provided the seller all pertinent information, your end is done), they often wait to see what YOU have to say. I think its unfair and have often let a seller know my POLICY is for seller's to leave my feedback first. The BEST sellers on eBay always leave feedback upon the completion of the buyer's end of the transaction. Not to do so leaves the buyer's feedback as "hostage" in a seller's hand.

Delivery confirmation doesn't cost too much and is a good idea to request on all transactions.

Tamlin Dawnstar once won a set of numerous pieces of rare English fluorite for $40. A fantastic buy (probably worth a couple of hundred dollars). It was being shipped from England. He never got it. The seller did return his money. However, William suspected the seller didn't want to let such a nice set of fluorite go for that low a price, so he intentionally never sent it (which may explain his willingness to refund the money). That's an easy way to get out of a transaction when you think the selling price was far too low. No way to prove or disprove it was sent without a way to track it.

I agree Sellers have no control over what happens in the mail. Hopefully sellers with good feedback are responsible in their mailing practices. I don't mess with any sellers who's feedback is below 99.7%.

I hope you get your item. That sucks.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sold a lot of plants and other stuff on ebay, I always wait for the buyer to leave feedback or at least let me know they got it and it's all good because theres always people who'll leave bad feedback/complain even if they receive their stuff a few days after they paid the auction.

That said I've got 100% rating so far on ebay but I know from other sellers I've spoken with how people can be on ebay. I've only had a couple bad experiences on ebay in many years of being on there, all were plant related of the seller not sending them but constantly promising to.

Still, those bad transactions were few and far between, I'm just careful who I buy from. I now watch for high positive ratings and unless I must have it, I try and buy from sellers with at least 100 transactions. No ebay newbies is my main policy, you can usually tell the experienced sellers. I love ebay though, I'm such an ebay (evil bay) addict, I've nearly got my entire "fun money" of the next paycheck already tied up in bids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew! It came today! Looks like the seller was mistaken when she said it was shipped priority mail, it was actually First Class (which is still a little late). Anyways, looks like everything worked out!

I know what you mean, swords, I do the same thing. Not so much to make sure that they don't leave unfair feedback, but just to make sure they got their package and everything is fine on their end.

Well, now I can finally play RESIDENT EVIL 4! The only Resident Evil to give me a scare before actually playing it, its that good!

(bad joke?... ok..)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast