What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you see one of these in your Inbox...

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
.... report as Spam!

Selena Jackson <info@careerbuilder.com> to me
show details 1:00 pm (6 minutes ago)

Hello. I am the representative of the large international company "Norway-network"
We are looking for the person in your country for cooperation.
If you would like to work with us please write on this e-mail address:
norwaynetwork@gmail.com
And you will receive more detailed information.
"Norway Network" manager - Kate Fisher

ummm..thanks Jim,
but im a little confused as to you why you want to point this specific email out..
there are thousands of these going around every day..
I get 50-100 (seriously) a day in my yahoo bulk mail folder.

in other words..why is this bit of spam post-worthy news?
spam messages like this are a decade old..

Scot

Perhaps he means PM inbox??

I have not gotten any PM spam reports... So I don't know what he's talking about.

I only see them once in awhile. These are Emails and just in case this seems like an appealing venture to some unsuspecting forum member, maybe it'll prevent a bad experience. You can delete the topic. Never had one in a PM, either.

well its nice to warn people and all..
but spam is to the point now that warning people about spam messages is the same thing as walking down a sidewalk with a friend and saying "look out, a car is going to pass us..another car is coming, watch out for it..look out, another car is going to pass us..here comes another car down the street, watch out for it..."

you get the idea..its pointless.

If we warned everyone every time we got a new spam scam, there would be 800 new messages a day on this forum about them..

yes its nice to warn our friends..but its not necessary anymore..we all see these every day.

and IMO, if someone is dumb enough to actually fall for one of these scams, they arent smart enough to be using a computer..

sorry Jim!
dont mean to pick on you..its really cool you want to warn us! to keep us safe..
but there is just no point to doing so, its a waste of a thread..there are billions of these emails out there..we cant make a post about all of them..and anyone who has been on the internet more than 5 minutes should already be aware of these scams..so there is really no reason to talk about them.

Scot

I have gone over this with my parents time and time again.... for some people, it isn't so easy to "catch"

I think the bottom lines are:

1) to good to be true, it is.
2) If you don't know who it is, don't open the email.
3) If you're not sure, but it could be real (like check your paypal account blah blah) close the email, go to your browser, TYPE IN the URL yourself and check your account from there.
4) NEVER send personal info over email.
And of course... Use STRONG passwords. A mixture of letters and numbers and mix in capitals. Even *special* characters if allowed. Try not to use real words.

If you follow the above, your email experience should be safe :)

I say, although this topic was kinda specific, every now and again it's okay to remind the public (or more specifically, a group of your FRIENDS) of the possible dangers lurking in your inbox!

Andrew

And never share your password with anybody. For example, take this site, I would never tell anybody that my username is ozzy and my password is tohsikap.

I would never do that and I would suggest you don't either.

Can one's computer get "something" (a virus, bug, adware, etc.) by simply opening an email and not clicking/downloading any of the contents?

I have never had anything bad happen to my computer via email before... My IP has a "block links and images" option for new emails that will be opened.

:jaw:

Does that mean you should never tell someone your Yahoo password either??

Only an idiot would do something like that.

LOL I think you probably right.

Geez, I never though this would turn into a fiasco! Feel free to rid the topic.

Back