Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watertray, how to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watertray, how to?

Hey all members,

Some might remember me, I was quite active a few months back.
    Anyway, I want to make a custom sized watertray to fit right in the spot (41cm * 87 cm)

Has anyone got any idea or experience on how to make a self made watertray and what materials should be used.

I was thinking about using wood and plastic, but I have no clue how to start working on it to make it atleast half decent.

any help would be appreciated

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could get some Plexiglases cut at a place like Lowe's or Home Depot to the size you want and then use some of that epoxi stuff to seal the joints. I'm not sure if you are going for aesthetics or not, but I did that with an aquarium on the side and sealed the top halfway with Plexiglases to hold water when laid on it's side.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that sounds really interesting mate, can you show me a picture of how exactly you fixed the joints together with epoxy (afaik thats polyester right?)

Thanks xvart, It sounds so interesting that I'm even thinking of making my own terrarium that way. Just need some more info

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plexiglass is probably the way to go but its kind of expensive. I talked to this guy once who made custom aquariums. I think he said he used some kind of silicone sealant for the edges. I was going to make my own custom tanks til I priced the plexiglass. It comes in large sheets (Lowes) so it must be custom cut to your specs. This guy said it wasn't hard to make your own tanks but then again I think he did it for a living.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to save a bit of $$ you might be able to go with a Reptarium Softray. The dimensions on the 38G tall model are 41cm x 75cm. 12cm shy on your long dimension but @ only ~$13 it might make more sense. Plus, it is made to take water
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The price depends on the thickness of the plexiglass (and the size ofcourse). What thickness do you guys recommend?

If you want to save a bit of $$ you might be able to go with a Reptarium Softray. The dimensions on the 38G tall model are 41cm x 75cm. 12cm shy on your long dimension but @ only ~$13 it might make more sense. Plus, it is made to take water
    I might think about that, i'll check out shops nearby or online shops

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celox View Post
    that sounds really interesting mate, can you show me a picture of how exactly you fixed the joints together with epoxy
    Sure, I'll take a picture tonight when I get home. As I recall, it wasn't that expensive; I didn't use a lot of Plexiglass, though; so that could be why. I only needed a 2.5" x 11" piece, but I had to buy the whole piece. I would imagine that thickness isn't too big a concern since it is a water tray and won't be holding a lot of pressure or volume.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about the thickness for a terrarium?
    Thanks for the info, its appreciated!

Edit:
    Decided to make a terrarium aswell, been thinking about the idea since yesterday. already found a few sites, drew a quick plan. etc

I decided on a (this is in cm) 100l*40d*40h tank (wich is about 39.4*15.7*15.7 in inches) that equals about a 42 gallon tank.

I heard that you need about 8 wats of light for each gallon; that would make 336 wats.

Now I know of cool white lights, but what kind, size and how many should i buy to make the plants happy?
    Or if possible what combination of lights (again, kind, size, how many of each) do you recommend?

Thanks for helping out guys

Edit2

How thick should the plexiglass be to make the terrarium strong enough, I was thinking 1/4 of an inch (6milimeter)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast