What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webpage help

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I'm hoping that someone with more webpage design knowledge can help me out.
I have very little knowledge, never take the time, but can usually somehow make my pages work the way I want them to.
My CP pages are in dire need of a make over. So I've been playing around to get them the way I like.
I use Firefox for my browser. I was half way throw changing pages when I decided to open a page up in Internet Exploder. It did just that. My header bar is not visible and my pictures are shifted to the left. The pages look great in Firefox.
Here's a link to the only page I've changed so far on my server.
Any ideas of what I need to do to make the page appear correctly in Internet Exploder?

http://mysite.verizon.net/elgecko1989/Drosophyllum_lusitanicum.html

??? ???

I love the ants making the title!:love:

Looks ok to me.

Jerry

Played around with it a little more.
I've got my header color to show up now.

My problem now is getting my pictures on the auto stretch table to stay centered in IE. The table for the pics shifts to the left. This may or may not be as noticeable depending on the resolution that your screen is set to.

I have been through the same problems you have described here. As much as I hate it, it seems that building my pages while using IE to review seems to offer better results. Firefox and Opera both seem to be able to handle anything that first looks good with IE. Watch the preference settings you use in Firefox while you build. If you have increased your font size for viewing, everything might be fine and just appear to be outta whack due to your personalized settings with the browser. Opera offers better viewing and dithering capabilities than Firefox, I check my pages with the four most popular browsers before publishing them. IE and Netscape are both bottom of the barrel trash for browsers, Firefox is good, Opera is top notch….

well...the problem is that different browsers use different rendering engines. In-fact I am surprised becos IE normally does everything and firefox gives issues with borders showing up where they shouldn't and so on.

What are u using to create this website?
Are u using frontpage?
If frames arent working (they should) try making a table..... and then create an inline frame inside the table:

for instance...this is a website I created a while ago: www.flankertraining.com/ironhand

on the main page u will see a mini frame with updates.

If u are using Frontpage it is easy, just go to insert HTML component and u will see inline frame.

It's better to design for Firefox (really to design for standards-compliance, where browsers like Firefox and Opera excel), and then hack as needed for IE. That way your website is forward-compatible rather than backward-compatible.

My problem now is getting my pictures on the auto stretch table to stay centered in IE. The table for the pics shifts to the left. This may or may not be as noticeable depending on the resolution that your screen is set to.

I see the table stretching and centering. I guess you've fixed it already?

It would help if you mentioned browser versions for troubleshooting too, because IE 6 and IE 7 are very different beasts.

And I'm so so glad you aren't using Frontpage. :) It's a plague that needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.

whats sooo wrong with frontpage? Its a wicked tool to make sites in a jiffy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do usually figure it out after lots of playing......I've got it figured out now.

I copied and pasted parts of the contents from the old pages to the new pages. I had a bunch of junk tables / cells I had to clean up. Once I did that it looks good in IE now as well.

I use Dreamweaver to make my webpages. The pages are extremely simple since I self teach myself and spend no time reading up on how to properly design pages. LOL
I think they will be much cleaner then the old pages.
The version of IE is 7.

vraev,
A long time ago when I was first making some of my pages I was trying to use frames, but could not get them to work at all and abandoned trying to use them quickly.

whats sooo wrong with frontpage? Its a wicked tool to make sites in a jiffy.

It's outright hostile to standards by using a lot of proprietary code that only IE understands (another case of Microsoft trying to muscle its own horrible standards into the market instead of letting them develop naturally based on what really works). A chunk of my previous web development work has been just replacing people's Frontpage sites with new sites that are actually semantic, accessible, search-engine friendly, cross-browser, etc.

Newer versions might be a little better, but since Microsoft can't even make IE 7 adequately standards-compliant, I doubt Frontpage is even close.

No WYSIWIG is great, but Frontpage is probably the worst of them. Dreamweaver is one of the best.

Well...I tried dreamweaver...but frontpage is the best WYSIWYG editor. I currently use the latest one: expression web. I have had tons of formatting problems with dreamweaver. I generate pages in photoshop and then create them in the editor. Frontpage gives me nice perfect matchups whereas dreamweaver always mucks me up at something or the other.

lol! its interesting to see how for everything that one person may think is soo convinient and useful, another person somewhere may absolutely be disgusted by it. Free will at its best. ;) lol!

@elgecko,

well.... try inline frames. They work in both IE and firefox (I am a heavy firefox user btw...I don't bother at all with IE). and its soo convinient as a designer as it can make page editing a heck lot easier. but well....whatever seems to work is good. :)

Well...I tried dreamweaver...but frontpage is the best WYSIWYG editor. I currently use the latest one: expression web. I have had tons of formatting problems with dreamweaver. I generate pages in photoshop and then create them in the editor. Frontpage gives me nice perfect matchups whereas dreamweaver always mucks me up at something or the other.

The measure of a website's technical quality is the code behind it, not the ease of its creation. If you can make garbage really really easily, well, what have you gained?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but gecko is getting some bad advice here, and I'm trying to keep him from picking up bad habits that will make his life harder if he ever decides to get deeper into web development.

Well, I am talking about the ease of creation and the relative "stability" from various browser versions.

You certainly do seem to show a lot of repulsion towards frontpage and seem to be hell-bent on admiring its ease of use considering the familiar interface and so on. Its like as-if a developer of dreamweaver coming here to mock any other product use. Knowing gecko (atleast I think that I know him a bit) from the time I spent on this forum, he is not looking into a future in web design. Becos firslty a professional web designer WOULD NEVER ever bother using these simple tools (maybe dreamweaver) but use a lot of asp, javascripting etc. and so on.

I am only trying to help him regarding the ease of making compatible websites. Its just my experience from these 2 pieces of software which I started using 5 years ago when I was in grade 10 of high school. Bad advice? I think I'll leave that to the person who is looking for help. Gecko already uses dreamweaver as he said. I am just trying to make his life simpler by explaining additional stuff like using in-line frames.

Anyways..there is no point of continuing an argument between us about some computer software. I have experience which shows me frontpage line is very easy, very compatible to design pages compared to dreamweaver. Elgecko already found a solution anyways.

BTW nice site there dude. Hey! can u please post pics of your rajah mate? ;) The current pic of your plant + pitchers.

Also can u tell me how long does it take to develop a leaf on your rajah? from the start of a bud to a fully open leaf. basically so from the end of one cycle to the end of the next. I see mine take quite a long time. but I don't know if this is normal or not. Currently its been taking more than a month to make a single leaf. Now it fell behind as I repotted it. but it seems back on track and started growing again in like 2 weeks.

If gecko were to build his site using frames as you suggest, no matter what software he uses, it would seriously impact how well search engines could index it and how usable it would be (content would be difficult to bookmark and link to, etc). That's the bad advice I'm talking about (the Frontpage thing was a tangent). It has nothing to do with preference... that's a quantifiably bad practice that he should avoid if he can help it.

If he doesn't know a lot about web development, he won't know how or why that's bad advice. So I'm pointing it out.

Back