User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian versus New Zealand sphagnum...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian versus New Zealand sphagnum...

Hello All! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and over-ate as i did! Is New Zealand sphagnum really that much better than good Ol' Canadium sphag? Please tell me before i re-pot my whole greenhouse in Spring! Thanks, Brian.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Canadian I have NO problems saying that our Sphagnum is pretty much garbage for potting CPs. It deteriorates in less than a year, meaning you have to repot stuff almost constantly.
    Chilean and NZ LFS are both far better. I only have live NZ LFS and dried chilean stuff, but they are both very different from Canadian stuff in structure. Our sphagnum seems to only be good in bogs.
    Hope this helps
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new zealand species that is the bulk of their exports, Sphagnum cristatum, has very close relatives in Canada, and they are of the same subsection there. Canada has a far higher diversity, but overall differences and variability in the morphology of the genus is minor. Any differences would be related to growing conditions, water quality, and means of extraction.
    that makes no logic

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still it doesn't hold up as well, in the experience of myself and some folks I would not hesitate to call "experts" (I am NOT included in that description btw)

I wonder if more folks will chime in here- the best CP-er I know (not a member here unfortunately) is dead-set against the Canadian stuff and I have seen enough to understand why.

Just my experience is all
    Da Growlist

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly I need to say that I am not among the "experts of canada", I'll reserve such titles to Flytrap, Jay and so on. Basically yeah...the regular sphagnum moss here (local canadian sphagnum) is crap.... full of sticks and crap. However, I finally found newzealand moss which is soo much cleaner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont like regular common canadian sphagnum either... although it has a plus, the twigs and debris which help with dranage, the other parts are phooey. i dont like the color, how it holds up, how long it takes for ugly green algea to form(like...a week) and i personally dont think 1 strand of it has enough "sphagnum" on it to do much. i mainly use chilean sphag. it still has twigs in it, beautiful color and it lasts forever. though....a bit moe expensive than canadian.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's just that the high quality sphagnum has already been removed from Canada's commercial bogs, while Chile's and New Zealand's haven't been depleted yet. With the emphasis on "yet".
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, THAT makes a lot of sense Bruce, that very well could explain the rather obvious differences in overall quality. I don't mind sticks and bits so much as super-fast decomposition of the medium

Funny thing, a few of us Canadian growers have actually had what are most definitely Sarrs pop in in what appears to be (and was sold as) NZ Sphag AND Chilean sphag which is puzzling to say the least
    Da Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast