Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, Travis' post about tham "Bratz" is bang on- the whole aesthetic is appaling to me, and I don't even HAVE kids.

I also think anyone who would buy their young daughter a pair of "shows the underwear" pants with words we can't even POST here emblazoned on the butt should be taken in for evaluation of some kind.
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a problem with computers for kids, but not a game that involves hanging a person for getting the wrong answer? I mean I know it's not a big deal, but if we over analyze we can find something wrong with almost anything. I don't think your concerns are invalid, but I don't think they are worth being "horrified" over. They can get the same commercial propaganda at school, walking down the street, on TV, in movies, and at home.

As far as Bratz dolls, I don't really see the big deal. Sure they look a little slutty, but they can see the same thing at school, walking down the street, on TV, in movies, and maybe even at home. At least Barbie had jobs and inspired women to be independent. To be fair, Bratz are supposed to be children (very slutty children.)

The proportions on those Bratz dolls are pretty bad. Their head must easily be 3 feet in diameter of they were real people. If anything, I'd be worried about the parents who'd let 10 year olds play Grand Theft Auto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think its ironic when parents think they are helping their children by getting them these "educational" toys and think they are helping their kids get "smarter". Have they been to a public school in the last 10 years? Because they dont want to make anyone feel like they aren't as smart as someone else they make everyone dumb. Seriously making your kid the smartest 1st grader in the world wont mean anything by the time they are in fifth grade as they will have been "dumbed down" so that everyone can keep up.

I also see these "early learning systems" as a warning that we should all be look at. If we have no faith in the education system to take these children and teach them so we go out and buy stuff to teach them at home doesnt that tell us something. People buy these things but when it comes time to raise taxes to pay for improvements to schools they vote them down. I dont want this to turn into a debate on taxes so please dont make it one, I am just pointing out the strange ways people prioritize things.

Oh and for McD. toy, well only in the fattest nation on earth were 2/3 of our adults are overweight would a toy that advocates eating extremely fattening food seem like a good idea. Do I think it will convince kids to want to eat at McD's well, no they all pretty much already want to due to the advertising on TV and our general culture of eating more is better. I find all of these toys McD's one and the early learning system an indication that we need to take a serious look at our culture and consider changing it.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the Mcdonalds toy is going way too far, but the Education systems actually work quite well, they require both child and parent to be interactive with the system and eachother wich is good.
    Downside tho, it contributes to setting television and electronics as free time standards (unless you control the hours they watch television, etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    As far as Bratz dolls, I don't really see the big deal. Sure they look a little slutty, but they can see the same thing at school, walking down the street, on TV, in movies, and maybe even at home. At least Barbie had jobs and inspired women to be independent. To be fair, Bratz are supposed to be children (very slutty children.)
    That is just the thing Clint, yeah they can see "sluts" all over but when you witness a 6-7 year old girl on the MARTA train turn to her mom and point to a very obvious prostitute and say "Mommy, she is so pretty, just like my Bratz doll. When I grow up I want to be like her!" Then you have a very obvious problem. When you teach your child it is appropriate to be a prostitue how can you expect her to value herself as she grows older??
    Last edited by Pyro; 11-30-2007 at 06:42 AM.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think I said anything about necessary... Or they wouldn't learn these things without the systems... And I think we're talking about different age groups. Cause I can't tell my 3yo to go outside and play baseball, haha. Sure there is outside time... But playtime can't be all the time. I absolutely believe learning begins at home. No reason to make them the "smartest kid in the neighborhood" But there is nothing wrong with a head start.

I mean, do any of us need alot of the the things we have?? That nice new SUV, that brand new computer, an oven (fire in a pit works great right?) As time goes by everything changes, that doesn't mean everything is worse, or everything is better... But I don't see the big hub-bub over a kid learning their ABCs and 123s from an electronic device, or blocks made from trees. Either way, the parent needs to sit down with them, and go through the motions... And I still don't think a combination of "old school" and "new school" methods isn't the way to go.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can get the same commercial propaganda at school, walking down the street, on TV, in movies, and at home.
    Exactly! I don't think that's any better. Why ADD to the plethora of sex and violence soaked magazines, TV shows and movies.

As far as Bratz dolls, I don't really see the big deal. Sure they look a little slutty,
    The deal is the dolls are supposed to be children...who are dressed slutty. And the children who are playing with them want to emulate them. They think Bratz are wearing the latest fashions, not HO clothes. Barbie was an adult so at least Malibu Barbie was balanced with doctor Barbie.

Cause I can't tell my 3yo to go outside
    lol No, but you can hold her hand and take her for a walk around the block. When I was a little kid I loved going to visit my grandmother "in town." She'd take me for a walk around the block and I just loved it. All along the way she'd stop and chat with her neighbors. She was the one who took me into her gardens and taught me about deadheading and things like that. I was only like 4-5. She taught me Chinese checkers and we played that all the time.

No parent is perfect and there is no perfect toy. I just think that too often these days parent's buy what's "hot" on TV and don't give it much thought.

Its a good thing I don't have kids. I'd have no gun toys, no violent video games and no dolls that dress like sluts and do nothing but go to malls. Tinkertoys, Lincoln Logs, and playdough! Oh yeah...and a microscope. hehe And an ant farm.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Surely you didn't hold hands and walk around the block all day long! haha We go to the park quite a bit... Which is over at my parents house... wich is where my g/h is.. (which is the house I take over in about a year )so we're over there ALOT. But, at some point, you have to sit down and do some learning... I'm just saying no matter the method, if you do it, you're on the right track.

So far, my kids only chew on lincoln logs and tear up what I build, but that just makes them tri purpose! soon they'll figure out to copy daddy and build stuff... Then I can be the monster and destroy it all!!!! bwahahahhaha

I have more of a problem with all the "educational" programming (read cartoons) than I do with the toys you're picking on. Thes "shows" are made to drop your kid down and let them "learn". THAT is a waste to me. At least 4 hours a day of it... I don't see a problem with it every now and again... I got just a little bit of the big bird when I was a kid too...
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast