Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    That is just the thing Clint, yeah they can see "sluts" all over but when you witness a 6-7 year old girl on the MARTA train turn to her mom and point to a very obvious prostitute and say "Mommy, she is so pretty, just like my Bratz doll. When I grow up I want to be like her!" Then you have a very obvious problem. When you teach your child it is appropriate to be a prostitue how can you expect her to value herself as she grows older??

Touché lol. I guess it also depends on the individual child and you'd have to put things in the proper context for your kid if you let them play with the dolls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Touché lol. I guess it also depends on the individual child and you'd have to put things in the proper context for your kid if you let them play with the dolls
    Yes it probably does depend on the child and the parent as well. Unfortunately more and more these days there are fewer and fewer real parents. They are more just "breeding pairs"...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    just for fun

My future home, showing neighborhood park and elementary school. That picture doesn't show my green house
    Last edited by adnedarn; 11-30-2007 at 12:40 PM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Yes it probably does depend on the child and the parent as well. Unfortunately more and more these days there are fewer and fewer real parents. They are more just "breeding pairs"...
    Ditto! The Bratz dolls are nothing more than trash.

Learning computers for kids are fine with me as long as they do not replace the parents. My 7 year old brother uses my ancient V-Tech Learning Computer that I used when I was his age. It is great for getting him to practice and reinforce his math, spelling, and reading instead of watching TV during free time.
    -Joel from Southern California

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 7 year old brother uses my ancient V-Tech Learning Computer that I used when I was his age.
    Right...but your brother is 7. One commercial I saw showed a baby that was about 9-12 months old. All she could was slap at big brightly colored buttons. Gimmee a break. Give your nine-month old some human interaction, paddy cake, blocks and a good stroller and she'll be fine until she's older and "learning centers" are more appropriate.

Just saw another commercial last nite for a baby computer. Uh "learning center."

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Back in the day" (one of my favorite terms) it was thought that babies could not learn. So "back then" basically parents tossed the kid in the play pen and that's where they hung out for their day(sure, they went out for a bit or whatever, but surely they were not taught as much as todays children are. This has been confirmed by me talking to quite a few people that have kids older than me). As time has gone by, it has become more and more evident that kids CAN learn very well at young ages. My kids by about 9 months knew quite a bit of baby sign language. The really neat thing, was Laurel teaching her younger brother the sign language! So, not only can they learn young... But they know how to teach young.

Even more important than WHAT they learn when young, is just the fact that they are learning HOW to learn. While one kid may be more advanced or not when they get into school... and then be "dumbed down" the fact remains that they know how to learn better. So as they get into stuff they don't know, they are better at putting that stuff into memory.

And even if they are not learning "more" in school since they are more advanced... That just leaves their minds open to learning more from the parents and their environment.

So, all this comes down to young kids are learning... And need you to do it... does it really matter the method you're providing? I still don't understand what it is you have a problem with. You don't think that 9-12m old baby was learning something with his mom in that commercial using that tool?

Also, kindergarten is more and more not a play grade. It is now a grade the kid learns at. I couldn't find a stat for the whole united states but I found this stat on a Wa. site:
    Less than half of the state's incoming kindergarteners are adequately prepared to succeed in school, and students in lower income communities tend to be even less prepared. Among the lowest income kindergarten classrooms in the state, only 25% of students are considered ready for kindergarten.
    Sure, this is somewhat talking about low income areas... but it was a fairly common stat I found for different states that a good % of kids not ready for kindergarten. I want my kids to be ready. No matter the method we use to get them there.

Toss a bunch of blocks in front of a kid and walk out.. they won't learn the colors, letters, or numbers... Set them in front of one of these devices... And they won't learn those things either.

Andrew
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at the store and my mom said "why are the toys next to the pesticide aisle" and I replied "cause they have lead in the paint"
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    D_m that is kinda a funny reply until you're a parent trying to keep up with that huge list of "toxic" toys... :-\ It's not easy.
    -Andrew

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast