Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont doubt it will change, i believe you. Your right about that and even if i didn’t think you were, id have no grounds to disagree. But do take a look at the links, even if you disagree, because there is some evidence to back up their claims. The links dont say less tv, its no tv.

what it is saying is that it encoumpasses all electronics
    The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no TV before the age of 2 and less than 2 hours per day of total screen time after age 2. They recommend: 1) teaching critical viewing skills, 2) limiting and focusing time spent with media, 3) being good media role models, 4) emphasizing alternative activities, 5) creating an electronic media-free environment in children's rooms, and 6) avoiding use of media as an electronic baby sitter.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since i have no experince on it i suppose i will say no more.
    that makes no logic

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it is... That says no TV. As in, sit down and watch this... These devices PAK is talking about (as I understand it) is the electronic devices used to teach. Where the kid is involved. (with a parent) I interpret the 6 recommendations above as follows:
    1) obvious
    2) what tv they do watch should be good stuff (IE Sesame Street and Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood as said above)
    3) you don't sit and watch tv all day
    4) do stuff other than TV... IE read a book (use a leapster device? ;-) ) go outside etc
    5)don't have a TV/DVD player in their room (duh IMHO)
    6) dang near the same thing as 5... don't use TV/movies to "take care of" your kid

I don't think any of that is referring to the devices we're talking about here.

Edit for your Nija post... It just doesn't seem like we're all talking about the same thing here

Another edit: I am guilty of my kids watching snippets of Sesame Street and Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, I really doubt there is any kid that hasn't seen ANY TV... but nothing consistent or long doses of for my children...
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gripe is with the new "dolls" that are out for kids. Barbie was bad enough, an unrealistic woman for girls to strive to be. But now we have Bratz. Just what I want, my daughter to idolize something that looks like a friggin prostitute!! I swear that is a company run by pedophiles!!

My daughter is not going to be one of those kids. Last year she got a tool play set. This year she gets a microscope set.
    I stopped reading the rest of the thread after this one from Pyro, so applogies if any of my points are adressed by someone else.

I understand your reaction to the Bratz dolls. They take it way too far. On the other hand, those parrents who say "My kid will not be one of THOSE kids" are usually the ones who end up with them.

Getting your daughter a microscope is great, IF she is interested in it. I thought long and hard about this while my wife was pregnant with our first. I've come to grips with the fact that the most important thing is that your child is happy. That means accepting their interests, even when they are what you feel they should be (within reason - if they have an interest in things that are down right dangerous, then you should naturally intervene). Our children are not our clones, and need to be able to express themselves without fear of being ridiculed by the people who matter most - their parrents.

I was a nerd as a kid - but I don't expect my daughters to be. Fine if they are, but but they can also be cheerleaders if that's what they want.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schloaty View Post
    I've come to grips with the fact that the most important thing is that your child is happy. That means accepting their interests, even when they are what you feel they should be (within reason - if they have an interest in things that are down right dangerous, then you should naturally intervene). Our children are not our clones, and need to be able to express themselves without fear of being ridiculed by the people who matter most - their parrents.

I was a nerd as a kid - but I don't expect my daughters to be. Fine if they are, but but they can also be cheerleaders if that's what they want.

+1

Very healthy opinion, I more so despise parents that become obsessed in the attempt of making their children into what the parent always wanted to be but never succeeded in.

Come on, stand back and watch them develop their own unique character and personality offering help and support where needed.
    There can be a lot of enjoyment watching it happen.
    Laying down a pre-designed format that a parent expects a child to conform to will do nothing but create a disaster in the long run.

PS;
    Got rid of the TV's when the kids were in their younger teens, never owned one since, the results have been fabulous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, ninja posts. Actually, I kept finding you had posted to my reply before I got the next one out so we never really were on the same page, I think, but that’s fine. I hardly meant to suggest that the practices you are doing is a problem at all, I hope you dint think I was criticizing you. I just don’t know enough about the subject to really respond to the learning electric stuff, so that’s why I ended the thing the way I did.
    that makes no logic

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No worries finch.. we were both answering each other as if this was an IM. lol I think the topic is pretty much over. The bottom line is, in a few years we'll start seeing the outcome of kids who use this stuff... Only then will we REALLY know, I think. It could be horrid, it could be magnificent... and it could be no real difference (I tend to believe #3 the most.)

Thanks for the conversation everyone
    Andrew

BTW- I remember the first time I was nija posted (many years ago) it was like a week later I finally saw it and realized what everyone was talking about! hahahaha
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are telling me MY topic is over?? Since when do topics have an "end"? :P

I guess it's kinda like the people who put down [a Mac]... Even though they've only ever owned a [PC]. Sure, they know the [PC] has (for the most part) performed well for them... and they have [used a friend's Mac a few times]... But once you own the [Mac] for yourself... it's different.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Ok. Now. While having kids IS its own experience and you develop some different attitudes, that doesn't mean those who don't have kids don't know anything about them or what's good for them. If what you said is true, then I would guess doctors, psychologists, counselors, teachers, etc. who don't have kids should be required to have kids themselves in order to practice?

I'm not against learning for toddlers! Of course its great to give your child every opportunity and assistance to learn and grow. But I still don't believe very young children need computers to learn. I think you have to look beyond the computer games to the broader message you are sending when you start sitting your kid in front of a computer so young.

You say children should be children and play and have fun... my kids do find these devices fun. They bring them wanting to play.
    Of course kids find those devices fun because that's what they have been given to play with. Babies don't have any control over what's handed to them to play with. Don't give them a computer, they'd never miss it. Give them a ball and I'm sure they'd bring the ball over to you as well. I doubt seriously if a toddler can make much distinction between a ball and a computer button. Give them almost anything (including a wooden spoon and some pots to bang on) and they will make it a toy and have fun. Kids play with whatever is made available to them. Shoot, I played with sticks, rocks and mud and still managed to make National Honor Society.

So mommy or daddy (sometimes both) sit and play it with her (them). So isn't this something your are for?
    Sure...its great if parents participate. But better yet--why not remove the computer from the picture. I feel parents (and other caretakers) are totally capable of engaging and educating their toddlers with shapes, colors, ABCs, numbers, etc. 1 + 1 still equals 2 whether the computer is saying that to your kid or YOU are. There used to be a toy with a hammer that a kid banged different colored shapes through shaped holes. Kids loved banging that hammer. But now...ya gotta watch shapes and colors dancing on a computer screen to learn about that stuff?? I don't buy it. I can take a child outside and teach them the sky is blue, the ball is round and grass is green. What about eye-hand coordination? Clicking a mouse vs. using hands to shape playdough, or imagination to build things with Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs or draw with crayons or chalk. Computers require no imagination, no coordination.

As children get a little older, learning basic computer skills is good of course since computers have become so ingrained in our world. But toddlers?? Naah. There are SO many ways to learn that do not involve sitting at a computer screen. It's advertising media that is making parents feel like they are somehow not doing right by their children if they don't run out and buy the latest educational tot computer.

Get your wallet ready because there will be the onslaught of computers "necessary" to teach every age level. You better make sure you buy every one of them every time the latest and greatest comes out on the market or your children might not measure up to Joe Schmoe's children down the street.

Note that I know you, Dandy, have your kids best interest at heart and want to exercise and grow their minds. I think Laurel and Caiden would be just as well off, well cared for and have age-appropriate intelligence if you did not have any computer toys-- BECAUSE--they have caring, interested parents. Its my humble and personal opinion that toddler computer gear is nothing more than hooey for some toy company to rake in profits based on parent guilt. Tot computers are NOT necessary to give your children educational advantages.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast