Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Putting American freedoms in perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is more of being worried about a situation in which the church has the authority of the state, and the state has the authority of the church (like in sudan),
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't think of any religion that has a record of benevolence when in power. That said, unlike what we see in the Muslim world, most (but not all) of Christianity's numerous offenses happened a long time ago. Is that because previous generations of Christian leaders had the wisdom to keep religion far from government or because of some fundamental shift? I don't know the answer and am unwilling to be part of any experiment that tries to see how Christianity handles it now.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I don't like organized religion. Religion has always caused divisiveness, war, killings, imprisonment, prejudice, hatred, crime... How can you embrace a fundamentalist religion that believes you can murder your way into heaven?

I say walk your own path and harm no one.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    The freedoms come from secularism or from the ideals that the Christian founding father's brought? I'm not sure if this is news to some secularists but Christians aren't out for global domination.

I'm certain it's from secularism, as the founding fathers weren't all Christian (no matter what the fundamentalists say) and not all good ideals are exclusively Christian just because they are in the Bible. Many atheists and members of other religions would share many of the same "Christian" ideals, such as honesty, not stealing, monogamy, and not coveting your neighbors ox or slave (male OR female.)

Then again.... that is a sweet ox.

And happy belated birthday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, first people need to realize there is no pan-Islamic world thought pattern like they seem to think. Islam like Christianity has many different sects of thought and practice. This instances does not represent Islam people need to remember that, this is an action of the SUDANESE GOVERNMENT, which has twisted Islam to suit its needs. Dont blame the belief for the abuses it is put too. If you are going to do that then Charles Darwin needs to be held responsible for eugenics. Remember you have too keep in mind who is actually committing the crime not just what twisted logic they used.

Also someone mentioned that Christianity committed its major crimes in the past. You seem to be ignoring facts like the creation of Israel after WWII and the continued funding of Israel by many Christian organization even in the face of crimes against humanity. There is the justification for the war in Iraq that God told George W. to do it. The dominion movement. Suppression of Science and calling for the subjection of women. Need I continue. Every organized religion has and will continue to be abused as long as it can be utilized to move the masses. Face it organized religion is the opiate of the masses.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I'm certain it's from secularism, as the founding fathers weren't all Christian (no matter what the fundamentalists say)
    They might have not all been Christian but the majority were. When did historians become fundamentalists?

and not all good ideals are exclusively Christian just because they are in the Bible. Many atheists and members of other religions would share many of the same "Christian" ideals, such as honesty, not stealing, monogamy, and not coveting your neighbors ox or slave (male OR female.)
    Where do their morals come from, the Bible? More importantly where do they get their moral authority from? That's the problem, what's morally unacceptable one day is acceptable the next, because atheist morality comes from themselves and how they feel about a particular matter in a given time. My morality comes from God and doesn't change.

And happy belated birthday
    Thanks JLAP!
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to add to what ktulu and herenorthere said,

As sudan show, if church and state are one, politicians and the ones in power will not be able to resist keeping their grubby hands out of molding the church doctrine and using their authority to advance their own agendas. Think of the advantage of making whatever war you undertake “holy”. Think of some jihads, and the crusades… holy wars by governments to advance their own means. Popular support of holy wars can be insane, and add legitimacy in your followers mind to whatever you undertake in the course of it.

I think most people strive to be moral individuals no matter what they are, i dont need authority to be moral. My morals may be different from what some people think god's are, but everyone has their own opinion on what god's morals are sometimes it seems anyways.

Is it really your birthday?
    Happy birthday! I must make a birthday thread!... but wait i don't see your name in the birthday box at the bottom!
    that makes no logic

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast