What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Well this'll be the second time.

I was going to go give my carnivorous plants to Ed --- my boss --- who has generously accepted to take them over the winter since I cannot provide the conditions. I drove with my mother in her newer PT Cruiser up a snowy, wet hill, a lady was on the side of the road hugging the curb and couldn't get free. We thought she was parked, she was staring at her speedometer as we passed, mom honked because she noticed she was just stuck, we stayed in our own lane hugging the side when this barely 16 year old kid thinks we're going into his lane so he tries to avoid us by heading into our lane (WTF) and he spins out of control in his huge car and totals our car. My plants got quite a shaking, a few of the rarer ones got lost in the smoking wreckage including an S. alata 'red and black' and maybe my Leah Wilkerson... I'm not sure yet... and the entire front end our our car came off and I couldn't get out, the front was dented in and radiator fluid was everywhere, people were trying to pull me into the ambulance as I tried to make sure my mom and my plants were ok (though the former above all) and some I see which used to contain rare and beautiful plants now contain hard, empty pots with a little bit of peat and snow. I tried to keep my tears in at this whole thing but it wasn't hard to just collapse in tears. My brothers came and helped out with the whole thing, though, and stayed at the hospital.

The guy walked away with a dent and the guy is siding with the lady whose live we saved (she would've gotten hit in her SMALLER car at a FASTER speed had we not been there) is siding with him, we'll probably have to pay even though we were hospitalized for 4 hours and I broke and/or bruised my thumb. My plants were all torn apart, pitchers everywhere in the cold radiator drenched snow, a few are still in that impounded smoking wreckage and some are scattered across the cold road. The police didn't check the tracks so we have no evidence of what happened. I'm pretty traumatized, having all this happen to my mom, her car, my plants being destroyed and worrying about my own health, my plants will probably die this winter, the hundreds of dollars I barely have will have gone to waste, if I hadn't gone this specific day maybe this wouldn't have happened, but, oh well... nothing I can do about it now.

NeciFiX

Last edited by a moderator:
That really sucks. Isn't there some sort of branch of the police that deal with reconstructing accidents via computer and some other stuff to see what happened? Its the same people that will pin the blame on you if you slam your breaks on for no reason to make someone rear end you. I have no idea what they're called, but they exist (i think)

Wowie dude. I'm sorry about that. Insurance might pay for it, maybe? I dunno how that works. A few hundred dollars worth of lost plants is far better than your life!

PM me and I'll send you a few Sarracenia for the cost of shipping. Common stuff but it'll get you started out again. Or if you'd rather I can just ship them to Ed.

Wowie dude. I'm sorry about that. Insurance might pay for it, maybe? I dunno how that works. A few hundred dollars worth of lost plants is far better than your life!

PM me and I'll send you a few Sarracenia for the cost of shipping. Common stuff but it'll get you started out again. Or if you'd rather I can just ship them to Ed.

No, it's fine, I only lost a few, the rest are pretty badly damaged though but I think I'll pull through. I'm glad to be alive though. Thank you for the offer though, the site was horrific though, people gathering around, my mom crying, the guy talking to his friends laughing about it, plants everywhere, the ambulance hauling her and me away, the blood red lookin' radiator fluid all over my plants. I hope I don't get any back issues from this, I already have reoccuring whiplash.

Insurance would handle it but ma would have to pay for the destroyed car even though it was this bratty kids fault and her insurance ratings would go way down.

My most precious plant --- My Cephalotus --- which I almost brought along is still here though, thankfully I didn't bring it along or it'd probably be dead.

Accidents seem to be happening in parallel universes and it's common for people to see them differently. But, if it happened in your lane, I don't see how the other guy isn't at fault.

Really sucks man! But glad that you are still fine. I understand its hard to suffer soo much loss..but hey! atleast you are alright to build up your collection for another day. Hopefully you can get the pieces sorted and atleast get the issue cleared with insurance companies. Good luck!

Sam
I had no idea how serious the accident was, glad you are fine, hope your mom does okay, keep in touch,
Plants can (and will) be replaced, alot of great CPer's will make sure of that
Get well
ed

Know how it is, at least you didn't roll your car or fall asleep at the wheel and wake up as you roll!

At least you are safe! I know how people can be douches and think they get the better half cause they didnt cause it. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Same kind of thing happend to my mom, guy was goin 80 down our road (we live in the rural part of ohio) and he looks like he was a good distance away to turn (assuming he was going the right speed) so my mom gets out, realizes hes going faster, and floors it.

Turns out he was a fireman guy, with out his lights on.

Idiot.

Well just glad you are ok! Plants are replaceable

Turns out the guy, if we hadn't turned and came to a full stop he would of hit us head on and killed us.

I'm sorry to hear about all that. I'm sure that was traumatizing. But I'm glad overall everyone is ok. I don't understand why they say you are at fault though.

As long as any of your plants are still alive, they will most likely survive and grow back to their happy selves.

I'm sorry to hear what happened. But the important thing is you're alright and so is your mom. Everything else is replaceable.

Back