User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the aesthetics of grow racks.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grow rack is for seasonal use. In the summer I put most of my plants outside, but in the winter there are my neps, a lot of dews and pings that don't like being frozen for 5 months. Those I put on my grow rack in a large south facing window 'till the temps warm up in the late spring. So I can put up with the inconvenience of shuffling plants around on the lower shelves when I water for that length of time. If it wasn't for a grow rack in the winter I couldn't grow as many plants as I do.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right after we moved here (end of July) and before the rack, I was forced to put the plants outside for awhile. I really got a good handle on what did will in the summer sun and what did not. The Mexican pings, most of the utrics, and half the sundews reacted. The pitcher plants, temperate sundews, and VFT's relished it. The pigmy sundews, especially, loved the outdoors.

It may not be the greatest setup in the world, but the grow rack, if you provide supplemental lighting, is pretty good. - espcially for plants that like to be in roughly "room temperature".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can kind of see Scot's point. Growracks have their good points AND bad points.

I guess not seeing my plants all the time does not bother me. My rack easily opens up for watering, cleaning, misting etc. Each time that I'm in the rack, I notice new growth and flowers; so it's kind of a nice surprise each time. Since I live alone and rarely have company I have no need to show off my plants all the time. I know what is in there and what Iíve done to contribute to any one plantís growth and propagation. So I guess the satisfaction of growing CPís is its own reward and very self-fulfilling. Besides, I have easy-to-grow common houseplants around the apartment for aesthetic value, not to mention for air purifying. Some nice Philodendrons, Pothos, Dieffenbachia and Dracaena.

Iím part of my local Big Brothers / Big Sisters program and my "little" who is a 12 year old boy loves to come over and gaze at my collection of CP's. He likes all the VFT's the best. He is still kind of frightened by the 'B52' VFT as he likes to look at it but afraid to even get his hand near it. LOL Come this spring Iím going to give him a typical VFT and teach him how to care for it. I may have a new CP convert here!

Anyway, I like my 'lil growrack.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12