What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping method

Igrow said it would be helpful to have a post describing this shipping method.
some people say it is less stressful for the plant if you ship it bare root but some plants don't like their roots being disturbed.
so you can ship it in a pot & buy some plastic to tape down the soil if you use tape to tape the soil the soil will stick to it and that is a pain xD
mostrecentpics030.jpg

you can then let some of the water drain out of the bottom and take a couple paper towels tissues etc and place the on the bottom then taping plastic over that so water doesn't leak out the bottom of the pot.
the last step works best with smaller plants anything tall like sarracenia can present problems
xD you can get a plastic cup and tape it over the top of the plant this works well for dew ans it keeps it humid and there leaves don't loose there dew as much. it also protects the plants leaves from getting damage. this is a picture of what i am talking about.
dionaeaB52001.jpg

oh yeah one more thin unless you have a square cup this works better with round pots xD

i always ship bareroot... i wrap the root ball in LFS and put it in a ziplock baggie. easy.
Alex

this thread should prolly be in the faq section but I tried to post it there and got a message saying I have insufficient priveleges

I always ship bareroot as well. Paper towel or LFS wrapped around the root ball, then the root ball wrapped in saran wrap. That is then twist tied tightly at the top to the stem, then a piece of waterproof tape is put over the crease to prevent dessication. The whole thing is then dropped into a plastic bag which is sealed, and if in a ziplock, the air is sucked out so it doesn't knock around. Then I pad the box generously with old school newspaper, since they suck and there's no use keeping them.

AH! so you DO use LFS hahaha :D just messin with ya :)

Alex

I don't like for tape to touch potting material or plants (or the pot, for that matter), so I roll a few tubes of paper and fold them over the potting material and down the sides of the pot. I work them as close to the base of the plant as possible and then put a rubber band around the pot to hold the papers in place. I've usually done it for fairly dry materials, like orchid bark, and paper towel works great. For a bog pot, I'd use plastic wrap instead.

I use the same method as Glider and PK.

Dm- That is usually done by nursery's when they don't ship them bare root.

But it does work good for pygmy sundews, and other plants that don't like their roots disturbed. (young plants)

But most plants are hardy enough to survive bare root shipment. Saves you a Pot!

great tutorial dude! I would go for it if it was a ceph or maybe pygmy sundews which don't transplant well. :)

Good thread, thanks for posting.
How about some packing methods for some of the bigger stuff?
Like older mature Nep's and Sarr's loaded with fat and tall pitchers?
Or even mature orchids in bloom, any ideas, can it happen?
It's always spooked me so I've never done it.
I'll be more confident if I can learn more of these bullet proof methods.
Some of the methods many of you may take for granted leave a non-experienced shipper like myself in the dark.
The photos and detailed explanations here work great! Thanks for sharing........

Only because wrapping peat in saran wrap would be entirely too messy :p

I've always said, "you can't have fun unless you are getting dirty!" :p

I do it the same bare root fashion as others have mentioned.

xvart.

use two cups for the Sarrs? (or how ever many just cut it out)

Put the nep pitchers in cups?

lol...

yeah if the nepenthes is small put the whole plant inside and I still cant figure out how
to ship a sarracenia

smaller sarracenia, could be shipped with the cup idea, but just with two cups, cut the bottom off one so on and so forth.. this could be taken to higher levels too but it would be flimsy. LFS works best for Sarrs though.

yeah if the nepenthes is small put the whole plant inside and I still cant figure out how
to ship a sarracenia

You could clip off all the pitchers or bend them back. It won't arrive looking pretty but it will definitely bounce back.

xvart.

Easy way to ship Sarrs:

1) Uproot and wash away all media from the plant.

2) Roll out 60cm of SaranWrap

3) Wrap Sarr rhizome/roots in damp (not wet, should not be dripping) sphag.

4) Place Sarr with sphag ball about 1/3 of the way up the short dimension of the SaranWrap and 1/4 of the distance from the side.

5) Fold the 1/4 length over the Sarr

6) Fold the 1/3 height over the bottom of the Sarr

7) Roll the whole thing up.

8) Stick in box

9) Ship box via Priority mail

This method will keep the Sarr happy for at least 1 week in transit. And the big benefit is that you do not have to thrash the pitchers.

Easy way to ship Sarrs:

1) Uproot and wash away all media from the plant.

2) Roll out 60cm of SaranWrap

3) Wrap Sarr rhizome/roots in damp (not wet, should not be dripping) sphag.

4) Place Sarr with sphag ball about 1/3 of the way up the short dimension of the SaranWrap and 1/4 of the distance from the side.

5) Fold the 1/4 length over the Sarr

6) Fold the 1/3 height over the bottom of the Sarr

7) Roll the whole thing up.

8) Stick in box

9) Ship box via Priority mail

This method will keep the Sarr happy for at least 1 week in transit. And the big benefit is that you do not have to thrash the pitchers.

Copy/ Paste, Copy/Paste.......

I'm loggin this into my files ....great stuff, thanks.
You guys might want to consider cleaning this thread up and making a sticky post outta it.
Attached photos would be complimentary to this info as well.
Who knows, it might help enhance the quality of a plant any of you may receive someday.

Back