Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping method

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping method

Igrow said it would be helpful to have a post describing this shipping method.
    some people say it is less stressful for the plant if you ship it bare root but some plants don't like their roots being disturbed.
    so you can ship it in a pot & buy some plastic to tape down the soil if you use tape to tape the soil the soil will stick to it and that is a pain xD

you can then let some of the water drain out of the bottom and take a couple paper towels tissues etc and place the on the bottom then taping plastic over that so water doesn't leak out the bottom of the pot.
    the last step works best with smaller plants anything tall like sarracenia can present problems
    xD you can get a plastic cup and tape it over the top of the plant this works well for dew ans it keeps it humid and there leaves don't loose there dew as much. it also protects the plants leaves from getting damage. this is a picture of what i am talking about.

oh yeah one more thin unless you have a square cup this works better with round pots xD
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always ship bareroot... i wrap the root ball in LFS and put it in a ziplock baggie. easy.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this thread should prolly be in the faq section but I tried to post it there and got a message saying I have insufficient priveleges
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always ship bareroot as well. Paper towel or LFS wrapped around the root ball, then the root ball wrapped in saran wrap. That is then twist tied tightly at the top to the stem, then a piece of waterproof tape is put over the crease to prevent dessication. The whole thing is then dropped into a plastic bag which is sealed, and if in a ziplock, the air is sucked out so it doesn't knock around. Then I pad the box generously with old school newspaper, since they suck and there's no use keeping them.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AH! so you DO use LFS hahaha just messin with ya

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like for tape to touch potting material or plants (or the pot, for that matter), so I roll a few tubes of paper and fold them over the potting material and down the sides of the pot. I work them as close to the base of the plant as possible and then put a rubber band around the pot to hold the papers in place. I've usually done it for fairly dry materials, like orchid bark, and paper towel works great. For a bog pot, I'd use plastic wrap instead.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the same method as Glider and PK.
    Max

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dm- That is usually done by nursery's when they don't ship them bare root.

But it does work good for pygmy sundews, and other plants that don't like their roots disturbed. (young plants)

But most plants are hardy enough to survive bare root shipment. Saves you a Pot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast