User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What the hell is this on my sphagnum???

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell is this on my sphagnum???

Hi guys,

I was as usual carrying my usual chore of spraying the plants when I suddenly notice this::

I cut off as much as I can.... and this is a closer look

lOoks really strange. I washed it off the sphag...but it was hard to remove without spillting the sphag itself into pieces. Under washing it was mostly like brownish/yellow dirt particles. I waited and observed for a while and ensured taht there was no movement among the particles.

Now...my question is... is this a sort of fungus?? is it fugal spores?? I cut off as many of the sphag shoots that had this hoping that it wouldn't go rampant if it was something.

It doesn't look like dead sphagnum. IT SEEMS LIKE SOME SORT OF DEPOSIT.

Now...my water is distilled water only. So as u can see... I am perplexed in this situation. My rajah also grows in LFS + bark in the outer reaches of the pot...so there is no peat.

Just curious.

thanks,

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there is one thing I can tell you for sure, you have your macro photography and complimentary lighting down pat.
    Nice images!
    As for what the oddity is with your sphag, idunno....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like some type of algae.
    just cut off all you can find.
    great macro, what camera are you using?
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lmao!!! lol! rofl! THis camera is a canon powershot A95. lol! There is a macro function....but its not too hawt. I am infact thinking about getting a real DSLR camera as this is my parents camera.

I
    SPECS

Camera Type: Point & Shoot
    Megapixels: 5.0 Megapixels
    Optical Zoom: 3.0 X
    LCD Size: 1.8 in
    Media Type: CompactFlash

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a95/

lol! no complimentary lighting....no stand... just hand taken. Had to take like 10 snaps for each as I increase the aperture size to like 1/20 to get good light inside the enclousure of my neps.

Its a decent camera....waay better than a cell phone cam or something..but I wouldn't buy it if it was up to me. I would use flickr's camera finder.... see the top few cameras, check their quality, look for a camera with removable lenses and then get that one. Here is another "SHOT AT A MACRO". this points the weakness as I cannot go any closer. THIS IS IT.

As u see I wanted to take a nice shot of the flower..but this is as close as it allows me to go at good quality. The results u see above which seem closer is becos I "CROPPED a 2500 px image to select only the relevant parts".

hope this helps.

thanks again. I never expected that anyone would say that. lol! I personally think my pics stink. lol! Good to hear otherwise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey..check this out. Its a full uncropped pic. I actually thought that this was personally one of my best pics seeing how beautifully the moss came... i.e, translucent and sharp
    But, once again..this is as far as i can go to the moss. Hence, I wouldnt compare this to a REAL macro.