Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What bird is this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Isn't the sharp-shin the smaller of those two species? I'm guessing at its size, looking at the branches and leaves, but it seems too big for that. Unless I have the species reversed.
    Just for reference, the branch the bird was on was about 3 inches thick. I would estimate the bird was slightly larger than a full grown robin.
    Thanks,
    Tyler
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definetly not a falcon
    if I had to vote I'd say coopers hawk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say sharp shinned if it was close to a robins size.My neighbor raises racing homer pigeons and once in awhile a hawk nails one off the coop of his and he says they are Coopers because they can carry off a pigeon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewy View Post
    Just for reference, the branch the bird was on was about 3 inches thick. I would estimate the bird was slightly larger than a full grown robin.
    Thanks,
    Tyler
    If your size estimate is close, the bird is a juvenile Sharp-shinned hawk (likely a male). The super-long tail quickly flags it as an accipiter and the 2 accipiters in your area are Sharpies & Coopers. The brown streaking separates adults (which have horizontal orangish barring) from the young birds.

Accipiters are the most commonly seen hawks around feeders in the winter as their normal prey are the small birds which frequent the feeders.

FWIW, falcons tend to be birds of more open spaces so are less frequently seen around feeders or wooded areas. IIRC, Lauderdale posted a pic of a Peregrine a while back that lived near him.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    If your size estimate is close, the bird is a juvenile Sharp-shinned hawk (likely a male). The super-long tail quickly flags it as an accipiter and the 2 accipiters in your area are Sharpies & Coopers. The brown streaking separates adults (which have horizontal orangish barring) from the young birds.

Accipiters are the most commonly seen hawks around feeders in the winter as their normal prey are the small birds which frequent the feeders.

FWIW, falcons tend to be birds of more open spaces so are less frequently seen around feeders or wooded areas. IIRC, Lauderdale posted a pic of a Peregrine a while back that lived near him.
    I googled juvenile sharp-shinned hawk and he appears to be just that. Our yard is fairly open with lots of houses around, and I have not seen any birds in our bird feeder for awhile, so it would appear to be the Sharp-shinned hawk.
    Thanks for all of the help everyone.
    Tyler
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12