What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can plants get cancer?

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Well since TC plants sometimes get mutations can plants get their own kind of cancer or something like it?

Well....consider the definition of cancer: any malignant growth or tumor caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell division

??? Well can they? Like a cancer cell that is mutant but, the others around it aren't. Also would it kill the plant. I not really sure how to put it.

I've been wondering about that as well.
although, I don't think that that would happen, because there aren't really any specific vital organs that would be destroyed or killed, and if the stem or leaf is killed there is always the chance that the whole plant will regrow from th base or whatnot. also, because the cells are all transfixed to each other and kept boxed in by their cell walls unlike animal cells I don't think that there is a possibility of the cancerous cells having the possibility to metastisize

Well if you think about it, one of the possible stages during TC is similar to a giant tumor. haha

But then again there is this little bugger http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105589

But cancer? I think not.

-J.P.

looks familiar ;)

the little bugs that burrow into the leaves and make that part of the leaf a big bubble to contain itself is similar to what i think is "plant cancer" the plant grows in that particular spot abnormally fast and creates a bubble. its caused by the worm.

Alex

I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the cellular structure and cellular division of plants compared to their animal counterparts. Maybe our new biology graduate can chime in here, lol.

xvart.

Plants don't get "cancer". The worst they can get is a gall caused by some bacteria IIRC. AFAIK, these tumors don't usually, if ever, kill the plant. Plants are also apparently tons better at repairing DNA damage that could lead to cancer. You standing in the sun for 12 hours a day would give you melanoma reallll quick.

Back