What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HONEY!

2119272500_9125943e48.jpg

HONEY!

ill post more pictures once its done straining!

Nice!This is from your bee hives? If so looks like they are doing good!

Jerry

It looks red. Is it because of the type of pollens they used? Looks gross with the wax in it.

No it looks red cause theirs more of it than you see in a jar. Im straining it so the Wax can be saved and made into candles!

You obviously don't realize that beekeeping and carnivorous plant growing are conflicts of interest. :D

No it looks red cause theirs more of it than you see in a jar. Im straining it so the Wax can be saved and made into candles!

Very interesting nepenthes_ak! I'm very interested in getting my own honey bee hive in the future. Do you know the regulations for having one in your back yard? Can you have one in the suburbs? If you get a chance, a nice picture walk through of the process would be sweet :).

diddo the above post!

nepak, is there any prep other than straining?
do you have to pausterize or sterilize it?
peace,
zero

nepak, is there any prep other than straining?
do you have to pausterize or sterilize it?
peace,
zero

i think honey is pretty much sterile.

and is it really true that honey is the only food that dosent spoil??

2119664580_ed533ef4ec.jpg

2119664586_91f18fc4a5.jpg

8oz jars, probably 15-18 jars of honey so probably 8-9 pounds of honey

What happens is you uncap the Frames, (bees store honey in the cells and cap it for later use). When you uncap, you take a hot knife (or an electric one) and just glide it over the frame. You scrape it too for the capped honey you couldn't get with the uncapping knife. It looks like a comb, and you just scrape over the honey comb.

Then you stick the frames in an extractor mine can handle 2 Super Frames. (supers are the smaller hive body). an extractor just spins the frames around, thus Slinging the honey out onto the extractor walls. It collects on the sides. You can eat it this way, or you can strain it to get the bits of wax out.

then you put it in the jars after its strained. I strain mine into a 5lb bucket (i think its something like 10lb bucket of honey, honey weights more than water of course). Jar it, and sell it and give it away.

This year i got allot less since its my first year, hives first year, and only got 1 super, which usually has 15-20lbs of honey in each super (I think not 100% sure). Next year my goal is 4 supers full of honey and hopefully 2 flows, so something like 160lbs the whole season.

yes Honey doesn't spoil (just crystallizes, and you can heat it up and use it again), Me and MrILoveTheAnts talk allot, we made that Ant chat I posted a few days ago. I didn get pictures of the process but I can do a redo A fake extraction for you guys :-D!

Thanks for the info! In the future i want to try my hands at beekeeping also.

I would disagree with the assessment that honey doesnt spoil. It doesnt spoil if you store it correctly, but it can grow fungus if left out. One of those toxins can kill small birds and thats why it is said to never put honey in a hummingbird feeder.

This seems pretty cool Nep AK. I always thought beekeeping was somewhat difficult. I would love to mack some Honeycomb. It sounds sooo delish. How hard is setting up the hive? and how do you get it populated?

Oh yeah, how did that whole pledge thing go?

Still going to the office, for the ACLU to do any thing They had to get my moms permission.

Like that was going to happen. Love being a minor.

:offtopic:

Yes People will use Honey as a Natural source to make Liquid Cultures for Micro organisms, (fungi). They will also use Karo too.

Nepenthes, You can buy Nuc's (small hives with 3-4 frames depending on the dealer), buy a Package of bees (thats fun I liked that). But My biggest suggestion is Finding a beekeeper who needs help around the apiary, and help him out from time to time. Best way to learn. I had to learn mostly by my self (internet, books and sort of a mentor) My mentor really only helped me learn how to build the frames, set up a proper stand, how to install the bees. But I had no problem with the bees I didn't wear a suit till the end of the season (guarding honey stores will make bees aggressive), I haven't had a problem with the Hives really. Ive even considered Apitherapy, just for health sake. It helps with allot of things, especially authrightis? (spelling? lol)

I suggest saving 1000 Dollars before Investing, you wont see that back for another 2-3 years assuming the Bees make it through the winter. Check out some beekeeping book, Beekeeping for dummies is a good one.

Beekeeping is the most written about subject besides the bible.

I'd keep bees but I'm allergic.........:(

Actually... fun little fact: The only book that has been printed more times, and in more languages than the bible is the IKEA product catalog.

While Beekeeping might be written about more than the bible... good old corporate monopoly ensures everyone can order IKEA crap.

Back