User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I officialy a Nerd? (early X-mas)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You like encyclopedias and you like veggies, you would like the book Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit: An Illustrated Encyclopedia. I took it out from the library 5 times already before i decided to just get it, lol. It even includes recipes and uses for those rarer ones that you dont know what exactly to do with.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    What veggies do you grow? I can't wait to have a vegetable garden. I always love eating fresh tomato BLT's.

xvart.
    Heh.. it's more like what don't I grow . This last season I grew cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, serano chile, jalapeno chile, a bunch of tomato heirlooms (Brandywine FTW), and Okra. Yes it is possible to grow Okra up north but it took awhile to become productive and has a short season. I also try to grow those giant pumpkins (Dale's Atlantic Giants). I also planted some 1 year old asparagus crowns that I should enjoy next spring and around 30-40 cloves of garlic this fall.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! Brandywine is the best tomato out there!
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're getting off-topic, but it's heading to my favorite topics.

Apples are tough to grow organically. Insect control isn't so bad, but disease control can be. Unfortunately, popular heirloom varieties are often disease-prone. A lot of modern varieties have been bred for disease resistance because disease control is so expensive, even with chemical controls. Around here, peaches and pears (especially Asian pears) seem to be the easiest fruit to grow organically, but that'll vary depending on where you are. I think that no matter where you are and what methods you use, apples will be about the most difficult fruit to grow.

As for gardening, it's seed catalog season and here are my two favorite sources:

Fedco: http://www.fedcoseeds.com/
    Seeds from Italy: http://www.growitalian.com/

The first is much cheaper, but the second has some unique things, including my favorite tomato - https://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstor...11&PROD=000110. We get our seed potatoes from the first place and, speaking of potatoes, I highly recommend growing sweet potatoes and here's the best source:

Steele: http://www.sweetpotatoplant.com/

We've had good success growing sweet potatoes in CT and they are essentially pest-free, assuming voles aren't a problem. Plus the plants look like an ornamental ground cover. Okra is another very attractive plant and I agree that it's worth growing in the north. The productivity is low compared to what I used to get from my garden in MS, but it's still worth it if you have some space to fill.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I'm still looking for an 11th edition Encyclopedia Brittanica set... I thought I got lucky today and someone was dropping off some "old" EB's. It was the 13th edition! The hunt continues.

xvart.
    What's an encyclopedia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For christmas, I'm getting a grow chamber (my dad tracked down a 150 gallon aquarium with a "slight defect" at a tropical fish store with a 70% discount) and parts for my new battlebot!

For my birthday a few weeks ago I got bootleg Chrono Trigger and Earthbound shirts.
    I win the nerd contest!

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure that if you're chatting on this board, you probably are a pretty big nerd to some degree. I know I am. I asked for the entire series of Star Trek: The Next Generation for christmas, but I have a feeling I'm not getting it.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked for an insect net (with telescoping handle!), insect mounting supplies, and hiking gear. Any guess what I'm starting grad school for this January? (that is, if they would put my paperwork through so I could sign up for classes!)
    -Emily

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast