User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bush signs new energy bill...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, as I said...

Back in the early to mid-60s, there was a new body style of Suburban that came out, and quit ea few people from this area bought them. As was the norm with humongous, heavy, carburated cars, everyone that had them with the 454 was reporting about 7-9mpg, which was how it was "supposed" to be. One Lubbock area local was reporting around 40mpg with a 454 (7.4L). Of course, no one believed him, and he was made to prove it to reporters, etc, which of course he did. Word got around that his car was actually getting 40mpg, and so did the consequences. One day his wife took the car to the grocery store, and came out to see people surrounding the car. She figured peopel were just looking at since it had become well known locally, but when she got up to it, there were a bunch of guys in white GM labcoats messing around under her hood. She of course freaked out, and they told her that it was an experimental carburetor, and wasn't supposed to ever leave the factory. They replaced her "experimental" carb with a normal one, and took off. True story...it was in the paper and everything. I know some older locals who saw the article and knew about the car when it was around. If we could get 40mpg off a CARBURATED SUBURBAN...in the 1960s...why is the national average still what...23mpg?

Also, there used to be a rancher around here that invented a device that pulled water from the air. He didn't have any scientific background, so he made it all out of stuff that was easily obtainable, and obviously easy to build. He built a couple, and had them hooked up to his water troughs so he didn't have to fill them. THe devices would just pull water out of thin air so to speak (and we only have about 15% humidity here, if that), and totally fill the troughs with water. His inventions were reported on, and well known about in the area (LOTS of ranchers wanted them), and the guy put in patents and everything. Then he "mysteriously" disappeared, even though he wasn't mentally ill, had no enemies, and absolutely no reason to run or kill himself. His family went to check on him and all his stuff was still around, but he wasn't, and of course his devices "mysteriously" disappeared as well.

Ahhh corruption. I'm ready for aliens to come and kill all the people that put a halt to human progress. We could be living in a much greener and much more efficient world...but when an extremely small amount of people have an unnecessarily large amount of money to gain, well you know the rest....
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Not only do trucks get bigger every year, but at least where I live...EVERYONE has one. Let me put it this way: if your family has less than 4 people, you work construction, or on a farm....you DO NOT need a truck. ..
    Wrong..
    my family is two people..myself and my wife.
    We do not work in construction, or on a farm.

I never wanted a pickup truck, never cared for them, never wanted to own one. (my ideal vehicle is a Ford Mustang) but I have a small truck now because my wifes parents gave us one..(My wife's mom cant drive anymore, so they had no need for two vehicles..)

the context:

For the past 10 years I drove a 2-door Honda Civic.
    For the past 10 years my wife has driven a 2-door Chevy Cavalier.
    both have very small trunks, and its not easy to get things in and out of the rear seats.

We got married 2 years ago, bought a house one year ago.
    (the first 6 months of owning our house we did not have the pickup truck)
    We like to garden.
    Bringing home mulch and topsoil in a 2-door coupe isnt terribly handy.
    We were loading mulch into 5 gallon buckets in the trunk..
    I had to buy a lawnmower when we bought the house..I had to have a friend with a pickup truck meet me at Sears to bring it home..I could not fit the lawnmower box into any orifice of a 2-door Honda Civic.

Since we were given the truck, I have used it to carry mulch, topsoil, fences, lawnmowers, small trees and bushes, and firewood..all things that we had no way to move with two coupes..the truck is VERY handy to have!

so you can take your self-righteous "you DO NOT need a truck."
    and shove it..

I hate it when people tell others what they can and cant do.. so annoying.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the early to mid-60s, there was a new body style of Suburban that came out, and quit ea few people from this area bought them. As was the norm with humongous, heavy, carburated cars, everyone that had them with the 454 was reporting about 7-9mpg, which was how it was "supposed" to be.

really.............as far as i know the 454 came out in 1970..............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rattler, perhaps it was the 427. I get the big blocks mixed up. I drove small blocks in HS . Still though, not too much better gas mileage on the 427 than 454. I'll ask my neighbor the dates next time I see him. He's been in Lubbock since the 50s, and he's the one that told me the story in the first place.

Maybe you should've swapped your micro car for something like a Chevy Malibu Maxx. I drive a normal Malibu. It has pretty much all the room I could ever need, and I still get 27mpg in the city.

so you can take your self-righteous "you DO NOT need a truck."
    and shove it..

I hate it when people tell others what they can and cant do.. so annoying.
    So how do you hate something you just did yourself? Gawd some people do not possess logic or rational thought at all.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going to say hell the 454 wasnt even availible in the Suburban till the mid 70's
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually you must be confused on your vehicles or your dates.........cant find anything in a Suburban above a 350 until the 70's
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    So how do you hate something you just did yourself? Gawd some people do not possess logic or rational thought at all.
    wow..thats so witty and clever.
    I haven't heard the "I know you are but what am I?" argument since 2nd grade.

so if your point is soundly defeated, just ignore the topic completely and instead respond with a weak attack on some totally irrelevant thing your opponent said..
    nicely done.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDK I'll ask him tomorrow. I know I've got the vehicle right, I'm probably confused with dates. Either way, if it happened in the 70s, that's still amazing. Real answer tomorrow

Scotty...really. Are you going to pull another one of your episodes where you kick and scream like a toddler, shout at people, and ramble on? Let's just let this go...I've got way more important things to do than waste my time on you.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast