User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dum dum duuuum - Trying to find my first REAL job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    What about a BS in Biology? Anyone got the lab hook up? lol
    Equally worthless...perhaps even worse...found that out the hard way! Most science jobs require at least an M.S. I got very, very, very lucky to find a lab job with just a B.S. And even then the hours are long, the people are often disagreeable, and I don't make enough to move out of my mom's house.

I agree with Jimscott's advice...get whatever job you can, get your foot in the door, and see if you can move up from there. It's not easy.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for such great advice everyone. I actually got a call today from a company that found my resume at Hotjobs.com. Apparently it's a job in their sales department and they liked my resume enough to contact me, so I left the woman a message and I'll get more information when she (hopefully) calls me back next week.

It's definitely a start! I'm going to keep plugging away with my job search, since I have over a month to get as many offers as I can before I actually move out. That first call has done wonders for my hope and confidence levels; I feel like the possibilities really are out there - I just have to find them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These suggestions are based on many jobs and many job searches. For the next few years, continue your education through different jobs. Get a job with McDonald's (no kidding) or some other successful national franchise. They have figured what sells hamburgers (or whatever they sell). As you work there, figure out what they have figured out -- the philosophy behind everything that employees are trained to do. That will give you a deeper understanding of what it takes to succeed in the business world. Also, but not at the same time, get a job as a preschool teacher or aide or some other job in education or social services where you work with people. That will give you a deeper understanding of what makes people tick. Also, get a job in government. Learn about how government works (or doesn't). After those experiences you'll have a much better understanding of the world, what you want to do in life, and what kind of career you want. While you're doing these things, join a Toastmaster's club to improve your public speaking. You will probably have to do some public speaking later in your career, no matter what it is. If you do it well, you might impress the right people, and public speaking is not something that can be learned overnight. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like you have prospects and that's a good start. I'm curious, though; why did you decide to get a psychology degree? Was it because of general interest or that nothing else was appealing or were you thinking of a particular career? Has whatever it was changed since you started? I'm always amazed (or is it bothered) by people who can charge into something at 18 and never change their mind or think about something else. I don't know if doing that shows better self-awareness, focus, or just a complete lack of imagination. I lean towards the latter explanation, but that might be because my interests change with the seasons, or sometimes more frequently. Since I have a family, I can't act on those impulses anymore, but I used to.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing... if you have in mind to get a Master's degree, try to do it ASAP, if possible, even though you may feel burned out from school. Why? Once you get other things in your life - job, spouse, possibly children - it gets really difficult to go back to school.

I had my B.A. and looked for a job right away. I barely kept myself employed and then got married, 2 years later. 2 years after that my daughter was born. THEN I decided to pursue a Masters in Statistics. But I had to take 3 undergrad Calculus courses and Linear Algebra before I could get into a program. So I began, taking 1 course, 2 nights a week, while working ~60 hours a week at a tropical fish wholesaler. That was exhausting and frustrating. It was difficult trying to get a handle on derivatives and integrals with a ctying baby! Then my oldest son was born and I had 2 crying babies. At the end of it all I was told that the program could only be done during the daytime. By then it was a choice between a job and a Masters degree. Since my wife was stuck at home with the kids, my income was more important than the degree. So I was stuck.

A few years later I got a decent job in my field (Environmental Science) and they have an education tuition program. So I took the GRE's and got into a Masters program for Biometry, associated with Roswell Park Cancer Institute. I told my supervisor about it and he said, "Hey, I'm happy for ya... I just can't guarante keeping you in town". A lot of what I did was sampling and monitoring, out of town. So there went that opportunity as well.

You have one advantage that I didn't. You have the Internet. You can do a good lot of what ya need to do, online. Still, it's best to do things BEFORE you get involved with other rewarding things, that can also get in the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be a freshman at the University of Georgia in about half a year. I'm going to major in horticulture (UGA has one of the nation's best hort programs). Nevertheless, I think it will be tricky to get a job in the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you can get a job in that field, but it might be mowing other people's lawns and planting their flowers. Or applying pesticides to said lawns and flowers. I assume you meant it would be tricky to find something beyond that.

This leads to a question - why major in something you expect will be difficult to make a career in? There are many good reasons, of course, but usually people are justifying a degree in literature or philosophy or, to keep this on topic; philosophy. I've never heard someone say that for a hands-on choice like horticulture.

By the way, Jim makes a great point, as usual. Nothing can trip up a person's career dreams like starting a family or even just a serious relationship. There's nothing wrong with that and, maybe if I had met my wife when I was in college, I would have taken a "sensible" school to work to family to die path. I don't regret finally settling down, but I was able to meander through my 20s learning and doing a lot of things. I don't have to wonder; should I have stayed around a university to work in research? I did. Should I have tried my own business? I did. Whatever path you choose, the most important thing is to keep your eyes open and never stop trying to learn. That's the cool thing about so many people in this forum - they've never stopped.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Whatever path you choose, the most important thing is to keep your eyes open and never stop trying to learn. That's the cool thing about so many people in this forum - they've never stopped.
    Both of these comments are so true. Very well said, Bruce. There really is no more valuable character trait than being a "lifelong learner."

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast