User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dum dum duuuum - Trying to find my first REAL job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    It looks like you have prospects and that's a good start. I'm curious, though; why did you decide to get a psychology degree? Was it because of general interest or that nothing else was appealing or were you thinking of a particular career? Has whatever it was changed since you started? I'm always amazed (or is it bothered) by people who can charge into something at 18 and never change their mind or think about something else. I don't know if doing that shows better self-awareness, focus, or just a complete lack of imagination. I lean towards the latter explanation, but that might be because my interests change with the seasons, or sometimes more frequently. Since I have a family, I can't act on those impulses anymore, but I used to.
    Let's just say that if could go back in time, I wouldn't major in psychology. I may have minored in it, but nothing past that. I was young when I chose my major and by the time I was mature enough to see it's lack of applicability, it was insane to change my education path. So I'm proud of myself for finishing my degree, but it's a degree that I can't use...well, can't technically use. I love the information I learned in psychology and it definitely helped me in my teaching job, so it's not a total loss.

To answer your question: I majored in it because it was interesting and I seemed to do well in it. I actually started out as a music major, but had the sense to back out of it before I realized it was as useless as psychology. I didn't back out of music though, since I still play all the time and have aspirations to "make it big".

I feel like it's more negative in my head than in reality, so I'm just keeping my head up and looking for new opportunities. I'm ecstatic about getting my BA though, so stay in school kids!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UGA has a huge horticulture program. My best shot at a good job is to get connections with a large horticulture-related company associated with UGA.

UGA does a lot of work with "experimental" ornamental plants. New plants from around the world are planted in garden plots on the campus and the ones that prove to be most vigorous are passed on to wholesale suppliers. If I can get a job in a horticulture field, It will most likely be with one of the wholesale suppliers or maybe with the university itself.
    I am considering a double major (hort and something else), but as of now that seems really ambitious, maybe too ambitious. Most college freshman are undecided in their major, so I've got a lot of time to think about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you can get a job in that field, but it might be mowing other people's lawns and planting their flowers. Or applying pesticides to said lawns and flowers. I assume you meant it would be tricky to find something beyond that.

This leads to a question - why major in something you expect will be difficult to make a career in? There are many good reasons, of course, but usually people are justifying a degree in literature or philosophy or, to keep this on topic; philosophy. I've never heard someone say that for a hands-on choice like horticulture.

By the way, Jim makes a great point, as usual. Nothing can trip up a person's career dreams like starting a family or even just a serious relationship. There's nothing wrong with that and, maybe if I had met my wife when I was in college, I would have taken a "sensible" school to work to family to die path. I don't regret finally settling down, but I was able to meander through my 20s learning and doing a lot of things. I don't have to wonder; should I have stayed around a university to work in research? I did. Should I have tried my own business? I did. Whatever path you choose, the most important thing is to keep your eyes open and never stop trying to learn. That's the cool thing about so many people in this forum - they've never stopped.
    I must say that I completely disagree with you guys about "tripping up a person's career dreams". I've never felt so driven to pursue my dreams than right now, with my girlfriend (who I've dated for almost five years) and this new city and new apartment. Like I mentioned in a previous post, this is a brand new beginning for me and I feel like I've been tethered down in my hometown. I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but for me, my exploration of life begins now, while my serious relationship grows in tandem with my practical knowledge and self-confidence.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing about life, alluded to by by Bruce is that the simplest of momentary decisons can radically change the course of your life.

I was planning to go back home (Long Island) and live with my parents and look for a job, there. But I got a call, while still at college, from my best friend (later bestman) and he invited me to share an apartment with him in Albany. That led to a civil service exam that led to a job offer in Buffalo that led to meeting my wife....

Even more scary was my choice of majors. My mom was encouraging me to major in Math or Accounting. In 11th grade, when the school was setting up career appointments ith the guidance counselors, the guy asked me what I like to do. At the time my hobby was tropical fish. The next thing I knew I was taking AP Bio and Marine Biology in 12 th grade. And then, at freshman orientation, through a buddy of mine, I met a girl that was going to be an Environmental Science major. Next thing I knew I was signing up for Intro to Env Sci and Env Chem. While that girl changed her major a couple times I added another useless major - Economics. Never could do anything with Economics.

Who knows... maybe would have ended up in some lab anyway, seeing as how these labs seem to be the repository of Env Sci, biology, Chem majors. The point being that a chance conversation.... the chance meeting..... the quick decision... can have a significant impact upon the course of one's life.

Hey... "how 'bout dem Cowboys!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody follows their own path and makes decisions for their own reasons. That's why we're not all accountants. Like Jim said, when you look back years later, you'll realize how many momentous events were trivial at the time.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Funny thing about life, alluded to by by Bruce is that the simplest of momentary decisons can radically change the course of your life.

I was planning to go back home (Long Island) and live with my parents and look for a job, there. But I got a call, while still at college, from my best friend (later bestman) and he invited me to share an apartment with him in Albany. That led to a civil service exam that led to a job offer in Buffalo that led to meeting my wife....

Even more scary was my choice of majors. My mom was encouraging me to major in Math or Accounting. In 11th grade, when the school was setting up career appointments ith the guidance counselors, the guy asked me what I like to do. At the time my hobby was tropical fish. The next thing I knew I was taking AP Bio and Marine Biology in 12 th grade. And then, at freshman orientation, through a buddy of mine, I met a girl that was going to be an Environmental Science major. Next thing I knew I was signing up for Intro to Env Sci and Env Chem. While that girl changed her major a couple times I added another useless major - Economics. Never could do anything with Economics.

Who knows... maybe would have ended up in some lab anyway, seeing as how these labs seem to be the repository of Env Sci, biology, Chem majors. The point being that a chance conversation.... the chance meeting..... the quick decision... can have a significant impact upon the course of one's life.

Hey... "how 'bout dem Cowboys!"

Wonderful insight, Jim. I can really relate to what you're talking about, in the sense that I'm realizing that every decision I make, big or small, has a profound effect on my life. For the longest time I was under the impression that what I did in the present was of minimal importance. Procrastination is an old friend of mine, and recently I've made major efforts to eliminate its dominance over my successes (and failures). My epiphany can be defined as a revelation of sorts, one that allows me to view hard work as a means to a positive and subsequently fulfilling end. In essence, I'm starting to pay attention to my life, something I haven't been doing up until this point. I want to be ready for those "quick decisions" and "chance meetings" that may get me to where I want to go.

I want to thank everyone who has posted in my thread so far. You've all been very helpful and I encourage you to continue talking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I'd give an update on my job search. So far I've been contacted by several companies offering sales positions, which I'm not particularly interested in but will keep in mind in case I can't find anything else.

What's most exciting is that I applied to be an administrative assistant at the San Diego Zoo. It pays decently and would be something to get my foot in the door, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

And the search continues...

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LLeopardGGecko View Post
    What's most exciting is that I applied to be an administrative assistant at the San Diego Zoo. It pays decently and would be something to get my foot in the door, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    That's great. Keep us posted. I went to the San Diego zoo once, but it was raining and a terrible day outside, and I had the mumps... I've heard it's awesome on better circumstances.

That's why we're not all accountants.
    But what if we all were accountants?!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast